• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Late season helping hints

Sorry my post kind of hijacked the topic. His tail bleeds all season long, it hits everything and once its open it doesnt take much to open up again. It will heal up about may. It is an english pointer and part of there style is there tail so they are not docked like a GSP.

Back to the original topic, sunday I plan on hitting LQP I will focus on short grass next to food or shelter belts. If there is alot of snow I will hit the cattails. Most of the reason I hunt is watching my dog and with a pointer it is just more fun to watch them in the grass so that is where i will start. The ice should be good so one tactic i like is going to the inside of a slough and working it inside out as well. Adam

Yep, im a police officer and firearms instructor but i still manage to miss big a$$ pheasants over a point.

Yep its the same dog he will be 8 may.

Yep i shoot 4 shot steel for phez in either 12 or 20. Last time i was out my 3 bird limit took 8 shots. But it was windy. cool

Went out today and was able to get two for 3 1/2 hours of work and it was work with the cold weather but was well worth it. Only came across 8 birds. I am wondering what you all do to keep the snow out of the dogs paws-drives my Brit nuts. Tried bringing out the boots today but as soon as we reached the field I took them off. Thinking that Vaseline would work? Both birds were shot in the red willows that follow along the slough.

Went out tonight for a couple hours and went 1 of 2 shooting, sighted 3 roosters. Worked the phragmites and cattails. With the nasty wind chill and biting snow, the birds were in the thick stuff. I don’t know if anyone said it yet, but tracking is huge this time of year. Those birds were running way out, but we stayed on them and got em cornered. When blowing snow fills those tracks within an hour, you know you’re seeing fresh tracks. Even if birds get up, keep working and you’ll find them when they land further ahead in the cover because they don’t want to be flying in nasty winds like today. Play the weather. Warm days are nice to be out, but when its bitter cold and nasty you know they will only be in the thickest stuff out there and you know they will track nice.

Great tips da-chise31... one other thing to note... many afternoons are spent scratching the fields for food, then to grit. For cover in the winds that da-chise spoke of, many have resorted to the heavy cover and canopy of the evergreens. My afternoon was spent near picked corn fields with cedar and spruce cover belts. It produced well. The birds had done their feeding in the warmth of the afternoon and then hit the gravel for grit and made way to the thick canopy trees where thier heat would hold for night. I got two this afternoon and on the way home saw many birds resorting to the same cover I got mine from. I love the hunt of native grasses, and my dogs dig deep in the cattails, but on short weekdays I jump out of my dress slacks from work grab the dogs and hit farm groves with cedar and spruce. Couple that with a close waterway with a running creek and you have hit the jackpot. I cleaned my birds and quickly returned to the farm where I took my hunt on. I sat with the owner, had a half a plate of Christmas cookies and hot chocolate with a wonderful lady who lost her husband just this year. We talked about a few things and I again thanked her for allowing my dogs and I to hunt her property and left her with a fresh whole bird which she said reminded her of her husband when he was younger. The bird for her meant more than I could have ever imagined. I and my dogs got to pursue a passion we have in our hearts and it led to a great conversation and better yet, a memory and a moment I may have never got to have without the hunt! What a great day! Study your birds habits, make good sportsmen and sportswomen of yourself, get good solid permission and remember it is not just for you all the time. Sometimes the hunt is for other things besides the game. I love the outdoors and all it leads to.

Lovely story Muc33. I've had similar experiences hunting ducks in Manitoba. We built a relationship with a farmer who recently lost his son. He said it was a blessing to have us hunt his land as we were three generations Grandfather, Father, and Son.

Don't forget to let the birds get into your lethal range. I had the flush of my life this morning. I brought the dog, followed some snow tracks for a little while. They stopped abruptly. I looked down, and there he was. He got up right there and I fired a shot at about 7 yards. Missed, chambered another and he had banked into the wind and turned around a windrow. Lesson learned. I guess it was the adrenaline, cuz I should know better. Flushed a couple hens and that was the hunt. Was great to get out for an hour before holiday stuff starts.