• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Astronomical "Smiley Face"

wastewaterguru

In the last week in November as many of you probably noticed......the two brightest planets, Venus and Jupiter, have been gradually getting closer together in the southwest evening sky.

In case anyone wants to know......the two will be the closest together tonight, with Venus lying about 2 degrees to the South (left) of Jupiter. On the same night the Crescent Moon will appear just beneath them, forming a “Smiley Face”. The proximity of these objects in the night sky will not occur again until the year 2036.

Just thought you would all appreciate the info so you can appear smarter when you know that Venus (the brighter one right now) is on the left, jupiter on the right.

Am I wrong in thinking the moon will be above and east of the planets thus creating an upside down frowning face? You probably have a better grasp of what is going on than I do. It'sjust that my chart shows it that way but I'm not into it too much. Still pretty cool no matter.

Ok, I just stepped outside and I can see Venus. I know Jupiter is nearby. But the moon is to the left and slightly above the planets which makes a frown tome. I'm one of those glass half empty guys, I guess. Will the moon bypass the planets before setting thus making a smiley face?