• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice: St. Louis River Wis. bays

Some of the bays on the Wisconsin side of the St. Louis River near Superior have frozen. We're in for at least a couple more cold nights. I'll be packing my spud bar in the truck from now on and checking that ice for the next couple days and will post what I find. There's little snow on that ice, so no insulation against the cold. Guess there's an outside chance of some ice action Sunday, certainly be next weekend if only the cold stays a bit. cool.gif

Stinger, if you see my pickup along the road and tracks out to a hole in the ice but none leading away, dive in and save my a**. grin.gif

Last week, the road off Hwy 105 to get to McClure's landing was still blocked off. Any of you Superior locals know if they have a set date to open it or if they wait until the road's frozen, or what? frown.gif OK, checked with the city on the McClure's road. They only open it up when it's all frozen, because it's a wet road and vehicles will tear it up when it's soft. Also, they always wait until after deer gun season, which finishes up Thanksgiving weekend.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-14-2002).]

You might be able to get out off 28th, but, you'll have to wait until the road opens to get to Mclures. Another option is taking the foot trail from Badger drive down onto Kimballs bay for crappies. I'll be waiting a little while to head to Mclures for perch, soon as there is six inches in front of 28th, then I'll take the sled over there. That hill at the end of the road is a killer man. I'm thinking maybe we'll be down on Nelson before the river thing starts happening. Course, there's alway Fish Lake, hmmmm.....what to do??

Set the Hook!!

Stinger

At 8:30 a.m. Friday, there was just about an inch of ice on the St. Louis Superior side at the 28th Street landing and Kilner's and Kimballs' bays.

It's cloudy ice, and there is no snow cover. With luck and a couple more good cold nights, could be good to go next weekend. Forecast calls for a couple days next week with rain/snow and highs in the mid 30s, so we'll have to cross our fingers.

Looks like inland will have better ice first. No surprise there.

So, is it first ice in Bayfield County next weekend? Stinger, smeds, jdm, what you think?

Hey guys glad to see people found the site. Fish lake has a long way to go to be walkable, Rice lake has maybe a inch out 15ft. If anyone finds a lake to start walking on please post it. I have a teacher friend who has a cabin on Amnicon and she says they have about 2 inches there.
Anyone going down to St.Paul for the Ice Fishing Expo on Dec. 6th-8th? Im headed out on FRi. the 6th to check out all the goodies and see if I can hook up with a resort for North Lake of THe Woods Crappies. Anyone know of any place by nesters falls or blueberry bay?

Well, if it isn't safe until T-giving, I'll be out of luck. I'll be at the rellies deer hunting. But there's always another day.

Amnicon sounds like it could be a good deal by next weekend. It's chock full of smallish walleyes and has decent crappies. Since it's a bog-stained lake it produces well in the daytime, too.

Guess we've got several days playing it by ear. Just looked at the forecast again, and we're looking at highs between 35 and 40 most of next week. Oh well. frown.gif Can't bode well for the St. L.

But keep those reports coming, and thanks. grin.gif

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 11-15-2002).]

Northlander,

There's a place right in Nestor Falls, or I should say right outside of there, on a Lake, but the name escapes me. I was there last year, think we'll be going back again. I'll ask my buddy who makes the reservations, and get back to ya. We fished the Hay Island area on Lake of the Woods, and trout on the lake the resort is on. Hang tight, more info forthcomming.

Set the Hook!!

Stinger