• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hens hens hens!!

Although I love to see an abundance of hens because it tells me that they are doing well and hopefully a good sign for spring, I wish there was some sort of ratio of roosters in the birds we saw today.

Of the 15-18 birds we saw, maybe 4 were roosters and they were flushing very wild, 50+ yards out while the hens were holding so tight you could kick them out of the brush. They flushed very strong so I don't doubt their health, but they were holding tight.

The highlight of my day was bringing my 8yr old daughter along for her first hunt ever. She had a blast. The .410 was a little heavy for all the layers she was wearing, but without the gun she was a trooper. I'm very sad I didn't have the camera for some photos, but I'm sure there will be many more hunts with her.

All in all we flushed 15 or more birds, a small doe and a large owl. That was neat. No shots fired, but the action was awesome. I can't wait to share the outdoors again with my new hunting partner Emily. She's very excited to go again.

Good to see you're building the lifetime of memories in the field PS.

I might be making a trip out west again one of these days to meet up with Boilerguy if you're interested.

We (my son and I)saw a lot of birds on Saturday with the majority being roosters.

On the drive home we had 7 roosters fly across the road and almost end up in the bag courtesy of our windshield, but that was the most we saw of the colorful ones.

I'm definitely interested in heading out there again. We'll keep in touch.

Sounds like your daugher is quite the trooper, that's awesome. Had the same happen to me this weekend. On Saturday we flushed about 12 birds and 10 of them were hens. It was still a great hunt b/c the action was fast and dog was working well. I think the best is yet to come this year