• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

favorite Ice Fishing Line?

Dahitman44

Firm believer in using 6 pound trilene 6 xt for eyes, and 4 pound trilene xl for pannies no need to buy ice line summer line works great I like to spool the 6 pound on a shimano 2000 or 2500 and put on a decent sized walleye rod and the 4 pound on the smaller reels, I like 12 pound stren for the tip ups

Firm believer in using 6 pound trilene 6 xt for eyes, and 4 pound trilene xl for pannies no need to buy ice line summer line works great I like to spool the 6 pound on a shimano 2000 or 2500 and put on a decent sized walleye rod and the 4 pound on the smaller reels, I like 12 pound stren for the tip ups

I'm about in the same boat, though I stick with 6lb xl instead of t. It doesn't stiffen up as much. I do pull off a good chunk of the end before season, though, just in case.

I just picked up a bunch of fireline crystal from a buddy for $2.00 a spool. He closed down his icefishing HSOforum and what he had leftover.

I've used it during the summer and this will be my first year using it during the winter. Can't wait........I think I might go out this week for the 1st time.

The line to compare against is Trilene micro ice. Anything that can do better than that is kudos. Anything that doesn't perform as well isn't worth your time or money.

There are many regular open water lines that can perform decent in cold freezing weather. Understand that every line will become stiff when exposed to water and freezing air. Best way to prevent that is getting a line that repels water better. That's where Trilene Micro Ice comes in as an advantage over the regular XL line. Many copolymer lines are formulated better to provide even better performance then Micro Ice. Something like Gamma ESP ice line excels in this area. Notably Flourocarbon has better water repellent properties than nylon, but the trade off is flourocarbon is more stiff as well as more abrasion resistant. That's where P-line Flouroice comes in.