• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar

Brade04

your lure is usally the one the is light green in color, you should be able to see it dropping rapidly in the water with your vexilar, when you stop and begin to jig it like brady said you should be able to see it moving up and down, fish are usually represented by a red/orange color. You will figure it out the first time you see a green line on your screen and then all of a sudden you have a large red blob coming up at it and wammy, a nice big crappie smokes it!

A few minutes on the ice with it, or a few mintues spent with someone that knows how to use a flasher, should be all you'll need to start getting the hang of it. And as mentioned, there are some really good instructional videos out there on the web.

Since you are just learning how to use it - I recommend you do not use it in an area with heavy weeds. It will make it easier to figure things out until you get more experience with it. Also pick an area that is 8-20ft deep, again easier for this steps described below.

Steps:

(1) Drop transducer so that it sits at the edge or just past the bottome of the ice in your hole.

(2) Turn gain down all the way to zero, if you have an FL-18 set

middle nob to normal, FL-20 middle nob to full view day.

(3) Power unit on to first depth range (1x or 20'). You should see a red bar at the 12 o'clock position (top of water column), and a red bar (plus some additional clutter depending on bottom content) This is the bottom of the water column. If you don't see the second red bar, you are deeper than 20' - so turn range nob to next setting (2x or 40'), and so on until you get the second red bar - if you never get the red bar you might have a problem with your unit.

(4) Since you are just learning how to use your flasher, put a large jig/lure on your line (easier for this demo). Start slowly dropping your lure down the hole. While doing so you should see a signal line slowly decending - that is your lure. If you don't, increase your gain gradually until you see your lure. Optimally, you want to setup your gain so your lure is green in color.

(5) Once you know which signal is your jig, start jiggin it (you will see your signal go up and down as you jig it). Any signals besides the top & bottom red bars and your lure is most likely a fish - move your jig above it and try to get it to chase.

(6) If you are fishing in heavy weeds - you should use the low power mode if you have it. If you have An FL-18/20, you can zoom in on the bottom of the water column. It is a very helpful feature for seeing fish huggin the bottom.

Once you get the hang of it, it is like a video game. Hope that helps. Good Luck!

not sure if this was posted as i didnt read all posts, but turn the gain down as low as possible while still being able to see your lure on the screen. nothing beats seeing a fish line come in to your lure, then wack, you have a bite. i agree with drewski about the vex choice. which one did you get?

You should have found a DVD in the box in a new Vex. This is a handy deal, lots of user tips and info there. And as was mentioned the Vex HSOforum is chucked full of great info worth looking over. The Q&A part covers most of the common questions very well. The Vex customer service crew is the best to be found, any hang ups feel free to contact them by phone or email.

You should find the Vexilar to be highly dependable and durable. Keep it charged up, keep the puck in good condition, catch fish...preaty user friendly stuff...just the way it should be.

Smart purchase, enjoy!

another question... i havent seen any info on this but i am wondering if anyone has heard of seeing the "thermal"(?) line on a vexilar? I was discussing with a couple of anglers (whom I assume are veterans) and they were refering to fising in deep holes and having the ability to distinguish the depth at which there is no oxygen/ too cold. Anyone else heard of this or were they yanking my chain?

You can occasionally mark the thermocline on your electronics. But thermoclines develop in the summer, they don't exist in the winter, so I don't think there's anyone marking them while they're out there ice fishing.

One theory on being able to mark the thermocline is the cooler denser water below the thermocline is enough denser to reflect part of the signal (ie. mark it on the display), another theory is that particles and bugs collect along the thermocline and what you're really marking is that stuff.

Yep. definitely yanking your chain. The water temp is about 39F from a little below the ice all the way to the bottom, unless there is some sort of groundwater input.
It's actually about 32-33 right under the ice, progressing to maybe 39 on the way down.