• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hand auger question

cold one sd

This subject has probably been beat to death before, but I am looking at hand augers and would like to know what would be a good brand and model without breaking the bank. The selection around here is probaboy limited to Strikemaster and Jiffy from what I have seen in the stores.

The Strikemaster Lazer hand augers are really nice and cut really fast. They come in sizes of 5" thru 8" and cost about $75 to $85 depending on size. You could get the Strikemaster Mora hand augers for a lot cheaper and will get the job done, but I prefer the Lazer.

Use that $75 or $85 and put it towards a power auger, you won't be sorry. I had a Mora years ago and when the blades got a little dull, it was a beast to cut with and replacement blades are expensive. I sent them in for resharpening but they were never as good as new ones.

I have a lazer 6 inch and had a lazer 7 inch (until it was stolen). I liked the 7 inch but it was hard to find blades for. I have the 6 inch now and it cuts quick and easy. I have a old 8" mora that is pretty much just hanging on the wall in the garage collecting dust. It did ok for thin ice but it doesn't even compare to the lazer. The Lazer cuts easy enough and fast enough that I don't even break out the power auger until I can drive out (14"). It has also made several BWCAW trips when the ice was over 3 feet and it did just fine.

The hole seems small for having the vexilar down while fishing so I just cut a second hole close to the one Im fishing in and its all good.

I would say stay away from the 8 inch as the bigger hole does make more work and I have yet to have a fish that won't go through the 6.

I have a power auger and I'm thinking about getting a hand auger for the early season. I also have a bad shoulder and I'm looking for something that isn't very difficult to use. I think it might be nice to walk out on the ice with a hand auger and a couple of buckets and enjoy the day sitting on a bucket. When the ice gets thicker it's time for the portable, atv and power auger. I'm kinda old, but a heck of a lot more able bodied than some of my friends that I end up drilling for.

Its amazing what you will do when you are in college, broke, hungry, bored (Ely can be a little dull during the middle of winter and not of legal drinking age yet) and in good shape. I think back and wonder what I was thinking sometimes. I guess a little huffin and puffin was worth a good lake trout or walleye dinner though.

I had an 8" Lazer and loved it.

I drilled 5 holes in 12" of ice before another group of guys had one hole cut with their Jiffy. I noticed a couple of the guys were watching so I drilled a few more just for kicks.

After they went around the loop hitting each other trying to get enough nerve to come over and ask to use my auger, one of them finally came over and asked what kind of auger I had and if they could borrow it.

The Lazers are nice, but I think the Nils is better.

I have been out of school for 25 years and Im still broke and hungery, I have a 6 inch lazer and thats all i ever use, works real good for me.

I remember about 6 years ago out on Upper Red Lake having to get down on my knees to get through the last few inches of ice in Feb. Let's just say "Run and Gun" was not high up there on our list of tactics wink More like drill a hole, get things setup and fish in that hole for a while then drill another.

I have a 6" mora, and love it. Replacement blades are $13 at fleet farm. Keep em sharp and dont drill rocks and the thing is fast and quiet.

I got mine as a gift, but if I had to buy one it would be a Laser.

Everyone here is all wound up about "I would never use a hand auger" they all have thier place. I use my hand auger as much or more than my gas auger. I will run the hand auger almost exclusively untill there is a foot of ice. Even after that I will use it when stealth is a factor.

Right now, early ice, clear ice, shallow water, no snow, spooky fish, the hand auger is the only way to go.

Its amazing what you will do when you are in college, broke, hungry, bored (Ely can be a little dull during the middle of winter and not of legal drinking age yet) and in good shape. I think back and wonder what I was thinking sometimes. I guess a little huffin and puffin was worth a good lake trout or walleye dinner though.

I couldnt believe it when my cousin "chopped" through a foot and a half of ice with a chissle so that he could put a tip-up out, he had no auger, had holes drilled in his house but not outside. It is amazing what some people will endure to fish. Was a big hole that tapered down to pretty small at the bottom of the ice.

Last year I bought the 7" Arctic Express hand auger from HT. It is similar to the Lazer but less expensive. It cuts very nice. I also have a 5" Mora still hanging in my garage that was replaced by the HT.