• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shaking head episode

eric29

My lab just the other day started shaking her head uncontrolably. It goes on for about 15 seconds the stops for 15 seconds, this continues for about ten minutes. Some one told me that it was a siezure but from what i know about them it affects the whole body and not just her head. Shes wide awake when it happens and she has even been walking around while it happens. It just happened for the cecond time about an hour ago. Any body have any clue of what would be causing this.

My first thought would be to check the ears. If one or the other smells, more than likely she's got an infection. Wax build-up, or a tick may have wandered in, are other possibilities. Try doing a vigorous ear wash,and see what comes out, if nothing and condition persists, it's time for a trip to the vet. Severe infections can ruin a dogs hearing forever, not worth the risk.

I think i might have misdiscribed the shaking part. Its not that shes shaking like she just got out of the water where her ears start flapping. I guess i can say its like a bobble head motion where her head bobbs and her body isnt affected. And shes not doing it on purpose like to get rid of an itch, i have actually tried comforting her and holding her head some what tight and it just keeps going.

There are at least 2 types of seizures. Petite and Grand Mal. Petite is just as it sounds, very small, sometimes un-noticeable. These can be as simple as a blank stare for a few minutes to a twitching of a muscle. This is possibly whats going on with your pet. Grand Mal are the "big shake all over" types that most associate with as a seizure. I am not a Dr so there may be more types. ( I had 2 Grand Mal when I was a teenager. ( Yes, MANY years ago.) Ha

Anyway, the only way to know for sure is ask the Vet. There are meds available for treatment of seizures. I would assume some are applicable to dogs.