• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help me pick an entry door

countryboy9799

Looking to replace my 32 inch entry door with a 36 inch. How much work is there in making the wider entry?

I am also looking at which brand of door to get. Fiberglass or steel?

We were in home depot and menards yesterday and they offered feather river and mastercraft doors. Any comments on these would be appreciated.

Have you done any framing work before? You will have to replace the header with a bigger one, remove siding and restud the area to support the new header. Might also have electrical work to do if you have a doorbell that needs to be moved and any light switches on the interior that are by the old door. You will have to cut back siding and sheet rock on wall will have to be moved to put in new studs. Not a hard job, but you would be wise to have someone who has done one before to help.

BB is correct its pretty easy if you have abit of experience.

I'm replying for door material,I'd go steel,the steel doors are easier for upkeep.Most glass doors are textured/wood grained hard to paint to match and keep lookin good.

I wouldn't go to Menards if you want a quality door. They are ok, but if you want something good, go to a lumber yard and order a steel door with steel cladding. Will be $400+, but you won't have to mess with wood brick moulding.

I havent done much framing but I do have a pretty good understanding of what needs to be done. We really need a new storm door and thought it sure would be nice to have a bigger door. Any comments on storm doors? We picked out a nice looking larson storm door and will go with that if they are good.

Just my opinion, But I really like my Therm Thru Fiberglass door. I had the inside stained to match the interior wood trim in my house, and had the outside painted to go with the outside scheme. I really think it is a great looking door. I have had no problems or maintence with it at all. My storm door is a Andersen, and no problems with that either. I think I paid a little more for these Brands but I wouldnt do it any different.

I believe in Minnesota, you have to have a fire rated door between the house and the attached garage and I believe that includes spring hinges.

There are lines of fiberglass doors that have a fire rating but the cost is way high, you would be best off using a steel door.

I would recommend checking on a fiberglass door for your front entry, fiberglass have come alomg way in the past years for the quality. If you don't mind my saying but go to a local lumberyard or building center and check their prices and quality I think you will be much happier.

Jar Jar

I am really surprised your entryway is 32", every home needs to have atleast one 36" doorway and it almost always is the front door for moving your stuff in and out.

It's a good idea to enlarge it now. How the heck did you get your couch in the house?

We have a Larson storm on the front door that was here when we moved in. The back door has an Andersen that we installed. The Larson is a better door in every way, I made big mistake with buying the Andersen door.

There are different lines of products with everything. Andersen has a lot of products that they slapped their name on that they never made. These are sold at the big box stores.

With retail products, you normally get what you pay for.

There are different lines of products with everything. Andersen has a lot of products that they slapped their name on that they never made. These are sold at the big box stores.

With retail products, you normally get what you pay for.

Roofer is dead on!

Steel doors and good. Cheaper normally then FG, but you do not have as high of energy efficiency in most cases (no thermal break). Steel doors will rust over time, FG will not. Either door will weather differently if it is a high sun area. FG fades but need no upkeep, steel can be painted if needed or wanted.

I can't tell you what will work better for your use, as well as your price point. I would recomend FG in almost every instance, but put in a ton of steel doors that hold up great.

I also agree on the 36" wide door. I try to put them into any major area, bedrooms, living room, dining room, etc. Anywhere that needs room for moving in and out.

The door is only as good as the installation. That goes for both Entry and Storm door.

Which storm door is better? Number one cause of failure is from wind. Improper safety chain and closure installation and adjustment. There isn't any storm door that can stand up to that.

If you check with someone at Menards, they can order Taylor, or Therma TRU doors too. THey don't have to sell you a Mastercraft door. A good guy in millwork or Contractor sales should be able to help you if they want the sale.

tell them to look in a Jbomera, Wausau, Badger, PDI, Jordon Millwork, Hals Millwork,.... just to name a few..

All they have to do is look in another catalog.

Been talking to a number of lumber yards around here and they all seem to sell doors from Bayer Built in Belgrade MN. I think the doors are made by Masonite and Bayer Built just buys the bare door and does the rest of the work to it. Any thoughts on this? My wife has one picked out that she really likes now and its a fiberglass that we would stain. Thanks