• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cordless electric fillet knife

snoozebutton

Question

I'm looking into getting an electric fillet knife and thought cordless would be the way to go. That way it would be a lot easier to fillet them out on the ice, especially northerns so you wouldn't have that slime in the house.

I did a search on them and came up with Rapala and Anglers' Best (maybe there's some others I didn't see.) Who has tried them and is one better than the other? Or maybe you have a reason not to go with a cordless. Anyway, all opinions are welcome.

Thanks, Steve

8 answers to this question

I bought cordless a few years ago and would not do it again. Unless Rapala has changede their battery problems, they don't last. They are always dead when you want to use them and if you don't use it enough, the batteries won't hold a charge. I use cordless tools everyday for construction and have great luck with them. My dad has some of the same tools, but rarely uses them. His batteries are always dead and have less than half the life of mine. With daily or very frequent use, cordless will work. Otherwise, I would get one with a cord. Good luck.

I have the Rapala coldless model and love it. I have not had any problems with batteries going dead quickly. I usually have both of them fully charged before putting them to use. Once the first battery starts to show signs of slowing I put it on the charger and use the fresh one. By the time the second battery is going dead the first is full charged.

Last winter I cleaned perch for about 2+ hours straight and only had to switch batteries a couple times.

I surely would not see a problem with the corded models if you always had a place to plug them into.

I got the cordless model as a gift a couple years ago and heard the same thing about the batteries not being very durable, but that has not been my experience.

Matt