• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Power Auger Suggestions

crappiekid24

You will be happy with any brand you get as long as you take care of it. I have owned or used Jiffy, Eskimo, Strikemaster and Nils, they are all good.

Nils is fast, smooth and quiet but added all together I would still have a hard time paying a premium price for one.

Personally, I would not buy a strike lite. Our experiences have resulted in anyone having one already sitching back to a 2-stroke. They are quiet but put side by side with a lazer mag (yes, we did it) they are not faster. Draw backs are the auger and the leaking oil. You have to be very careful to keep the cup clean or it ices up and will not cut. No matter how careful you are, this can create issues if you are far up north in sub zero weather. The plastic flighting can break, read the posts and you will see. Finally, if set perfectly the right way the oil is not an issue but set the wrong way and they will leak oil. Yes, they should be set the correct way, as should be done with all augers, but things shift in a sled, get moved in a truck, etc. and things happen leaving you an oil mess.

No matter what the brand you buy, treat it well and you should have success.

Strikemaster has the best service around. Last year I broke a blade on my laser mag, the auger still out performed the jiffy's my buddies had. When I got home I took pics of the broken blade and e mailed them to Strikemaster, three days later there was a package at my door free of charge. Thats hard to beat.

Given the price range your looking as I'd look long and hard at the Strikemaster lazer mag. Unless your fishing lakes with lots of sand in the ice the blades will outperform the chipper everytime. I had the Mag 2000 for years and it served me well. But there's a major difference in performance between it and the Lazer mag.

I had a couple lazer mags before switched to my Nils and they performed well. When I had issues with them Strikemaster helped get them resolved quickly. They all cut ice. Just some are a bit lighter, faster and user friendly than others. I love the Nils I'm using now and would highly recommend it to anyone but I also understand that you have a budget you're working with.

Good Luck!

It's really a Ford vs. Chevy type of argument. About the same thing and there are people that swear by both of them. I have a 3 HP Jiffy and a 2 HP Strikemaster lazermag. The Jiffy stays at home mostly due to the weight of the 3 HP. Get a 2 HP and your back will thank you. To me that's more important than the brand. If I were to buy a new aguer today, it would be a 2 HP, 2 stroke stikemaster. I love mine. It's 7 years old and runs great.