• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Steve Foss

First ice!

Sorry, I'm not saying there's ice already. grin.gif

Who plans to be where on first ice, fishing for what, and when do you think that'll be?

I'll likely hit the Wisconsin bays of the St. Louis River for crappies and perch, or one of the nice jewels in Bayfield County for walleyes and tip-up pike.

There's a little ice left in the St. Louis bays, and it's supposed to get cold again after this weekend's front passes through.

Anybody got anything like ice where you are?

first ice\yellow lake,premier lake in burnett
co for walleye\musky action,good fishing right out from the public landing,easily walkable with the clam,expecting to be out between 11\23 and 11\28 to start the season
always the optimist.........

I'll be on Lake Koshkanong chasin Walleyes and Saugers if there's any water left in there.
Where in Bayfield cty do you fish ? I deer hunt out of Brule in years I can get off work but hav'nt fished the area.

Only lake I've given much attention to in Bayfield County is Lake Owen, a narrow, long deep clear drink of water that's not much of a walleye lake, but great for smallies in open water and lots of tip-up pike in the winter. Hit Owen 4 times last year, maybe 5, and had nice pike action each time.

Also, I've talked with a guy who fishes the Eau Claire chain of lakes there (Lower, Middle, Upper). He does the walleye thing at night on these clear lakes. There are cribs laid down, but he hasn't told me where those are yet. Maybe soon. grin.gif

I'm basically limited to where I can drive out my full size 4X4 pickup, or where I can pull my Fish Trap II on foot. No sled or ATV. That cuts down a bit on my options, but there's still a lot of water accessible to walk-in. Just mounted skis on the bottom of my Trap, should make for easier towing. Because of the warm winter and snow, no lakes I know of in NW Wis had thick enough ice to drive on, although several trucks passed me some of the times I was walking out on Owen. Idiots stopped to pass the time with me, too, parking right where I was (10 inches of ice). Ice was cracking and booming, and the ice sheet dropped a couple inches because water was pushing up out of my fishing holes. Sheesh, get back guys. rolleyes.gif

------------------
Steve ([email protected])

Prophet:

Good to be optimistic. I think the 23rd is pushing it, unless we get some serious single-digit lows and it stays below freezing during the day.

I'd say we should hook up on the 28th, but I'll be killing deer with my relliies near LaCrosse.

We should definitely hook up sometime this winter. Looks like your fishing lakes in Burnett County are only an hour or less south of me. cool.gif

i usually try to make it up there 1 weekend per month since i'm driving up from eagan mn,
have friends there who will put me up,made my first trip to the apostle islands in sept
like the area a lot,thought i'd luv to see it in the winter.....

In a perfect world, I will have my 10-pointer down by Thanksgiving, then jump on a few darker, shallow lakes for 1st ice in Sawyer County. Nelson Lake, and Lost Land are a couple of prime early Walleye spots. As far as Bayfield county - try the Pike Lake chain south of Iron River. This chain is fairly large & very clear ... it'll take a lot of cold before safe ice comes. When it does, Hart & Buskey Bay are the ones to fish for Walleyes in this chain, with Millicent being a little tougher. Prohet: Bobbing for Lake Trout out among the islands (Apostle) in Feb/March is probably the nicest time to be out there. Not that I don't like pictures of sailboats, but not when you're pulling baits off Oak Island, and they WILL NOT GIVE YOU ROOM! Tough to beat the solitude up there in winter. Enjoy if you hit any of the above.
Smeds <(((((><

Smeds:

Yeah, that Pike chain looks good on the maps. I've been eyeing it since I bought the map book for NW Wisconsin last year. Thanks for the more specific info. cool.gif

------------------
Steve Foss
Superior, Wis.
[email protected]

There are some lakes in Bayfield County that are completely iced over, not sure how thick but will be checking on Sat. Will be soon everyone!!

I have a friend that has a home on Lake Minnesuing (north end) and he said that it was froze all the way to the island. Weekend after Bambi season will be the one (hopefully). Does anyone know if Smith lake down by Hayward is froze yet?

Fished Minnesuing three times last winter. Had fun catching crappies and pike. Any word how thick on Minnesuing? Probably doesn't matter. It was 42 in Duluth/Superior today with that or warmer coming tomorrow. Gotta pray it's staying colder inland. Haven't heard any reports on the Hayward area ice. Can't come soon enough. Every time I go in the basement, I swear my Vexilar give me "the look." grin.gif

i live out in Poplar and it was about 22 deg.last night with some frost this morning on the truck but came into town at 7 a.m. and everthing was just wet. Yeah it has been colder at nigt away from the lake. i talked to buddy on minnesuing and he said the light winds broke up what there was of ice.
My auger is wining and the rods are shaking so it must be close to the time

Looks like this weekend's shot for ice, with this sucky weather. Guess I'll get out the 'looper rods and hit the French. Gotta get SOMETHING on the line. frown.gif

I'll Be In The Ashland Area Friday -Monday
Anyone Been Out Yet?
Thanks!