• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Remote access program

LwnmwnMan2

Question

Can someone direct me to a free program that will allow me to use my laptop running Vista Home Premium (I think) to access my desktop on the network running Windows XP?

I'd like to be able to do my accounting work in bed, rather than head downstairs to the cold(er) office, away from the TV. laugh

16 answers to this question

Depending on what you want to do you could also use Microsoft Terminal Services, that is pretty easy too and already part of the Windows operating systems, just needs to be enabled on the host PC and can be run from any PC.

You can also check out RealVNC, we use it at work and it is pretty good. You can adjust the setting to compensate for slow network connections.

Go control panel and then to system properties, find the tab that says remote access, then select remote desktop. That is XP Professional, not sure if that is available on XP home. I found some pages on the web that describe how to trick the OS into thinking it is XP pro, but I have not tried it and it involves messing with the registry. If you have XP Home I would say go with Ultra VNC or something similar.

If you say so. smile

I only know it by the name of the program/app that I click on to use it.

If it's XP Home, I think all you can do is invite Remote Assistance, not use a full Remote Desktop session. I've never tried to make it work on XP Home, but I use it fairly often from my work laptop (XP Pro) to my work desktop (XP Pro).

EDIT: On second thought, I think this will put it on the computer if it's XP Home.

I have Remote Desktop on my XP Home version, and in hindsite, think I did install that app. However, I've just not had any great need to try to make it work at home.

The client or the device that wants to initiate the session is the easy part. You can download the software pretty easily. The server/host end is what I am thinking is what is not available on XP home.

I searched and while looking for pcanywhere (costs money) I came across logmein which seems to have a free version. search for logmein free and check it out. I have not tried it so I have no idea if it is any good.

And if you have a work IT department they are often pretty picky about connecting through their firewall, so you should ask them if they provide something for this application.

The client or the device that wants to initiate the session is the easy part. You can download the software pretty easily. The server/host end is what I am thinking is what is not available on XP home.

You're right. I don't have the "allow remote connection" settings on XP Home, even with the client installed.

I searched and while looking for pcanywhere (costs money) I came across logmein which seems to have a free version. search for logmein free and check it out. I have not tried it so I have no idea if it is any good.

And if you have a work IT department they are often pretty picky about connecting through their firewall, so you should ask them if they provide something for this application.

Well, being self employed for 20 years, I'm the HR guy, the IT department, the accounting department, the sales manager, and hopefully, now that I've hired guys, the vacation planner guy once in a while. laugh

FWIW, I'm trying out LogMeIn. Even though I don't have print function, can I access the printer from the host computer?

If so, I have a wireless printer anyways, so I can still print in the bedroom.

Originally Posted By: delcecchi

Well, being self employed for 20 years, I'm the HR guy, the IT department, the accounting department, the sales manager, and hopefully, now that I've hired guys, the vacation planner guy once in a while. laugh

FWIW, I'm trying out LogMeIn. Even though I don't have print function, can I access the printer from the host computer?

If so, I have a wireless printer anyways, so I can still print in the bedroom.

You can print off the computer you are controlling but it will print to that computers printer (hope that makes sense). But I've been using the free version for about three years and it works great.

I used it last night. Worked perfect.

I have a wireless HP printer on the network in the bedroom on a nightstand, which I can access through my desktop, so I can still print upstairs.

I did all the invoicing while watching both Storm Chasers and the Vikes game on the new 46" LCD. Sure beats sitting downstairs in the office watching an over the air 19" TV. laugh

I would try TightVNC or RealVNC. LogMeIn works, but then you are relying on a third party service to be up and running and to not spy on your data. With VNC, you will run a server on the computer you want to access and a viewer on the computer you are accessing it with.