• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gear

mngirl

Ok, I need some help confused . I have a budget and know for the most part what to get, but if I have less than $100 to spend, let's even say for $50 to make this harder, what gear would you think would I most need/get the most use of? I am getting a rod from my dad, but have no other gear. What does everyone suggest? I used my ex's gear last year and realized this year I need my own (Merry Christmas to me! ;)) Also, anyone with an open seat that is looking for a fishing buddy email me. [email protected]. I will pay for bait/gas/drinks and snacks. smile I am looking to hit up anywhere in the metro. Thanks and hope everyone had a great Gobble Day!

Well, since you have a rod, I would suggest a 6 or 8" Hand Auger. A auger and tackle box with some tackle should take care of the $100.00. You can always find good deals on [YouNeedAuthorization], or even craigs list. Good Luck.......

Danny

Well, I honestly don't have that much room, I have an apartment with no extra storage. I eventually want to get a house and auger when I have a house and garage. I have some friends who have all that anyways! I am thinking more so jigs and stuff, anything specific you recommend? Any colors that work well? Thanks for the info smile.

Lures

• Custom Jigs & Spins Slender Spoons
  • Custom Jigs & Spins Ratso's
  • Custom Jigs & Spins Shrimpos
  • Jigga Whopper Hawger Spoons
  • Custom Jigs & Spins Lightning Spoons
  • Jiggin' Rapalas
  • Northland Forage Minnows
  • Lindy Ratl'R Spoon
  • Custom Jigs & Spins Demon Jiggin' Spoons

There's a few. Other stuff

• Head lamp
  • Tazer/Glo-Buster (or some other light to charge glow jigs)
  • Forceps
  • Tip-up
  • Bait Puck
  • Neck Gaiter
  • Glommits
  • Chisle

All you really need is a 2 maybe 3 combo's from anywhere that sells sporting goods. They are reasonably price and work great. Get a small box for a variety of panfish jigs. Grab some depth weights to set your depth.

Go with slip bobbers if you want. And if you remember what I tried to teach you last winter you know what your doing with tip-ups should you decide to try that. And if not just call me.

Get a bucket with a seat to haul your gear around. Dont forget the scoop for the hole. You dont want an auger so grab something to chisel old holes open.

Check out Little atoms, and if you get some of the plastics, you can usualy do pretty well, Tonight I managed 8 chip crappies with just the plastics and then managed maybe another 5 on waxies. If your going to be going fishing with someone dont worry bout the chisel or auger, you can get them at the end of the year. I would look for some waterproof snow-pants, good pair of boots, I read on here Micky mouse boots were on sale pretty cheap. Like someone said, get 3 set ups incase one breaks, or messses up while your on the ice.

When the ice is thick enough, I'm out pretty much every weekend in the drop down house. I think that we could find an open seat for you if you'd like to join sometime smile

As far as gear, check pawn shops, FM for sale forums, craigs list for augers. Tackle doesn't take much. A couple spoons, small glow jigs and a float or two would work great! As far as rods, you don't need to go extra fancy. I've seen ice combos at Gander mountain and Cabela's for around $15, and they work great.

I'm sure you have warm weather gear already, so you shouldn't need much.

I would say that it somewhat depends on what you plan to fish for but here is a list of starter lures I wouldn't go without.

Spoons:

Angel Eyes

Forage Minnows

Buck Shot Rattle Spoon

Horizontal Lures:

Genz Worm in smaller sizes

Fat Boys

Bro Bug

Mud Bug

Forage Minnow Fry

Gill Pills

Diamond Jigs

Ratso

Vertical Lures:

Frosty Jig

Ghost Grub

Shrimpo

Glow Bug

Flutter Bug

You should also try to pick up some of the Berkley Powerbaits for panfish. Gulp Waxies are awesome on the ice, along with Power Tubes and Gulp Maggots.

I would second the recommendation for a head lamp, you can even use most of the ones sold today in place of a tazer charger for jigs. The Forceps is another thing you don't want to be without. Don't forget a clipper and lanyard to keep stuff around your neck and available for easy access. If you have enough money left over find youself a used Strikemaster Lazer Hand 6" auger. The blue Mora augers are okay, but once the ice gets thick it is tough to drill with one of them. Don't forget to get a cheap scoop and a 5 gallon bucket. That will take care of seating arrangements until you can afford to pick up something else. A cheap rod bag from Gander will take care of most of your storage needs as well.

One way to get out and make friends for ice fishing is to try getting to one of the FM/HSO get togethers. They are a lot of fun and a good chance to try out some gear to see what else you may want to purchase in the future.

Since you're getting a good rod and the intention is to go with others, I think your smartest move would be a flasher. That isn't as far out of your budget as you might think. I picked up a Sitex Fl-5 last winter for $50 off [YouNeedAuthorization], with a transducer. It's thirty-some years old but essentially the same thing as an Fl-8 or 10. I actually prefer fishing with it over my Fl-18, especially when I'm outside. Also check out Sitex and Micronar for the Fl-8. They're the same thing. I've heard of other people who have resurrected old Lowrance Fish Lok-a-tors with some success, though that might take more technical proficiency. The starting point on those is about $20. They do have greater difficulty with target separation, however.

Yeah, I'm excited, I might need another rod though. I met someone who has lived in Minnesota his whole life and loves to fish and has never been ice fishing. I want to show him how it's done! What rod/reels do people suggest? crazy

mngirl, If you're fishing panfish, I'd suggest getting a selection of Flu-Flu jigs in the 1/64 or 1/80 oz size, in white/white or yellow/white. They're my 'go-to' jigs on the ice and they haven't failed me yet. Word of warning... Get a BUNCH, The panfish BEAT THEM UP!! I've used as many as 3 jigs to catch a limit of Crappies! They just 'eat-em-up! The small ones are ONLY available at their HSOforum. Phred52

you don't need much. I would pick up some "teardrop" or "moon" style jigs in crappie and bluegill sizes. a few of the ice buster bobbers, a pack of slip bobber stops and some small plain hooks and small split shot. you could pick up a tip up, and get it filled with tip up line for around 20$.

a lot of summer time lures find their way into my ice box. hooks, sinkers, and ice jigs are all in my summer boxes as well as my winter ones.

if you want spoons, I cant say enough good stuff about the lindy flyer spoons. they works for everything.