• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Welcome Wisconsin

Although I am originally from SW Minnesota, I am a student here in Madison and love the fishing around here. I recently caught the biggest walleye of my life in Lake Mendota! I don't know if I can be a real big help since I'm pretty new to the area, but I'll do what I can and I am always willing to be a fishing partner if anyone finds themselves around the Wisconsin River or other nerarby areas.

Lookin' forward to see the ice fishin reports out of Chequamegon bay. Plenty of options with the trout/salmon + walleye/northern. I have to admit, I don't travel to far( 1 or 2 trips/ year)for ice fishin, but I like to read what's goin on in case the day ever comes when I get to fish as much as I want. Riiigght.
I was up there for the smallies in May. WOW. Exudedude, I bet you don't mind when you happen to get a smallie on the end of your line. If you havn't already been, this IS a must. 17-20" avg., but you're not alone, even during the week. Still worth it. During the last open water outing a couple weeks ago, after 3 hours of nothin, I said to my buddy --- " only 6 months to Chequamagon".
Till then, ice up baby!!

Cheq. Bay was completely frozen over on Wed., witnessed two people ice skating off of Johnson's Beach in the City of Ashland. The strong winds of the weekend however have broken the ice up but things are starting to refreeze. Inland lakes are nice, at least 3 inches on the lakes, watch for springs though.

Gerd , Right out from the student union is some GREAT panfishing ! Go small with your jigs ( A Chartruse Bruces jig size 12 or 14 is killer there )and you'll do well. A small splitshot above the jig helps you work those tiny jigs.
North of that spot bout 1/4 mile and out from the park there are a couple of rock piles that come up from fairly deep water. These are a couple good Walleye/Northern spots. Usualy dudes have a perm shack or two on these humps so they will be easy to find later on. These are two spots that would be in walking distance for you. Warner Bay is another option. There's a nice weed bed that pretty much runs around the whole bay. Good spot for Walleyes , Northerns on tip ups along the weeds while deeper water towards the middle of the bay will give up some good perch.
Govorners Island is another good Walleye spot with a few humps and saddles that produce some decent action at times. Firetiger jiggin raps work good there towards dusk/after dark. I read in a magazine today the DNR says the Perch action will be so so this year. Better bets are Monona for perch or join the hoards and fish the triangle for gills and crappies.

Hi everybody.It's nice to see this forum.I live in Hudson and in that area I ice fish Bass Lake,Perch Lake and the St. Croix River.Farther north I hit the Clam Falls Flowage and Yellow Lake.I'd be happy to post reports and also hear what others are doing in the area.Good Luck Fishing!!!

Toes:

Welcome. I've got rellies all over LaCrosse, including a cousin who lives in Holmen. I used to live at 10,000 feet within sight of Pike's Peak on the upper edge of Victor, Colo., when I worked for a gold mine there.

Glad you can make up for slack open water fishing on ice. Ice is definitely a different game.

Glad you found the post, and tell a bunch of your friends about it. The Wisconsin forum is still pretty new, and we can use all the guys swapping info we can get. grin.gif

Hello all!! Just found the site. I am a transplanted Coloradan, living in Holmen (North of LaCrosse 9 miles) Anyway ice has been good on Lake Onalaska. Been catching alot of panfish lately. Man I love ice time. I cannot catch fish in open water, but I make up for it on the ice. Tight lines.