• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WHAT IS BETTER A.T.V. OR SNOWMOBILE

ZIGZAG

That was the intention.

I did kind of mess up on the lights. But about 3/4 of the bottom lights shine under the box and the upper head light shines through the center where I built a box to hold my lantern, so most of that light shines through. And there's almost always a group of us going in...so I'll just not lead the group!!

I agree with every post here. Up north a sled is the way to go. Down here in the south though I can get by with a wheeler. And a wheeler is better for me since we like to ride a lot in the summer. Maybe if we'd actually start getting snow down here for more than 2 months out of the year I'd reconsider

I'm a ATV kind of guy. I'm also a small gas engine mechanic part time. I know I will be stirring up a bag of worms with this comment but...I would not purchase a Polaris ATV. After working on them countless hours they are the biggest pain to do any kind of work on. They make some decent sleds. But my vote is for a ATV or UTV(side by side) they are high priced but awesome. You can haul 2 guys plus gear. And pull your wheel/skid house out. And still weigh less than 1,200 pounds. That's my .02

I just bought an 89 Pantera a few weeks ago for ice fishing. Looks to be the same as yours. You mentioned that it's tubbed and has a wide track and that you stripped it for weight. I'm pretty new to snowmobiles, was it already tubbed and had the wide track? Also, what did you strip off for the weight?

The older 80/81 models where designed for cross country travel (before the days of trails) they had a narrow stance without the skis sticking way out the side for riding stability at high speeds. The skies don't catch in the slush. Also if you look under a pre 83 machine they made sure to make the machine slide across the snow, they used the belly pans and even those rails down the sides of the tunnel for snow floatation. This is why I can stop in four foot snow and take of like nothing or power across open water and not skip it across like the new sleds. As for the track those old Cats had a fifteen maybe a sixteen wide track this one has been stuffed with a eighteen wide track. Thats why it has a Pantera seat on a panther body, it was re-made for the factory custom tunnel. As for wieght I have removed every single thing not needed, from gaurds to footrests if it was not needed it was removed and many parts such as the racks are made or replaced with Alum. I also dumped the factory 500 custom from Cat and put in a Kawi 440 without oil injection since it is MUCH lighter then the Suziki 440(and easier to find).

Now your 89 will have a wider stance and most likely weigh much more. Still a great sled I had a bufddy that ran a 88 Panther with lots of luck. Now if I could find a 71/72 PAnther that is not in a collection I would love it for my type of sledding.

I take that sled many places I couldn't walk ice or snow.

I'll jump in on this. For years I used a sled to pull my porty and it worked great. Unfortunately it did not have a reverse and each year it got harder and harder to drag that bad boy off the trailer. This year I sold the sled and picked up a wheeler (4x4). I probably won't use it much during the summer but I will enjoy the ease of getting on and off the trailer as well as the use of the front and rear racks. I'm hoping I won't have issues in the snow and would expect a 4x4 to do alright.

if you are on a budget and looking for something year round id go with 4wheeler. lot more use then a sled. yes, sled will get you more places on a lake but sled wont do you much good in june. i live northern MN should have sled but i instead i have 2 wheelers and havent regret not having sled yet, given the versatility. comes down to personal choice and determination. wheeler will go lot more places then one thinks!@!!!! been in places where all you've seen is handle bars (little modin)

Is it just me, or does it seem that used ATV's are 3-4x more than similar year sled. That would be a big influence on which way I would go.

Also, it seems that there is a lot more maintenance/upkeep on a Sled over an ATV. If this is correct, then does this negate any initial saving on buying a sled for much cheaper than an ATV?

Well I'm gonna add my 2 cents worth here also... I think that there is a place for both. Unfortunately some of us can't justify buying both and have them both setting around waiting for us to use them. I purchased a Suzuki King Quad 4X4 atv last year and I absolutely love it. I put chains on all four wheels and we never had a problem getting anywhere on the lake. I am guessing that there will be a day when there is ablsolutely too much snow to be able to use the atv but until then I am sold on the King Quad.

Along with using it for ice fishing I also use it on a daily basis with my farming operation. It works great for running errands around the farm, spraying, and you name it.

If I had the money and storage space to do so I would probably buy an inexpensive sled but until that happens I will be using the atv...