• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip-Up Hooksetting

pikestabber

I am looking to find the best technique for setting the hook when tip-up fishing. Several methods I have tried include the basic approach of feeling for the fish then setting the hook; I have also tried just waiting "x" amount of minutes, depending on the size of the bait; someone else told be to let the fish run, then it will stop, then set the hook when it starts to run again...

Can anyone help clarify the method they find to be most effective? In particular, I am referring to tip-up fishing with sucker minnows for pike. Thanks.

Do the fish a favor and use a Quick Strike Rig, as the name implys, set the hook quickly after getting to the tip-up, just take up all the slack and as soon as you feel the fish, set the hook. This is the most effective way to consistantly hook up and to prevent gut/gill hooked fish.

Yup, for pike. Quick Strike rig them, and set the hook right when you get to the tip-up.

Stranded wire can be used, either made by yourself or pre-made from different places. Or, the other method using Tyger leader material is great too for this type of stuff.

I have been making my own Quickstrike rigs for years. I can never find them with smaller trebles for using on 3-6" suckers. They are a bit of a pain to tie since stranded wire is not the easiest to work with.

Just feel the fish, pull the slack out and set the hook. If the fish is ripping line out, set the hook as soon all the slack is pulled out. I've missed very few fish since starting to use quick strike rigs.

People were asking about quickstrike rigs earlier this week. I can email you pics of my rigs if you want. Send me an email at [email protected]

I recommend using the Ready Rig VB quick Strike Rig, set the hook as quick as you can, soon as you confirm it is moving or there if weight on the line. Rarely miss with a Ready Rig VB, and you will not gut hook fish not intended for harvest.

stabber - for walleyes, I subscribe to the "feel the fish, set the hook" school. If I see a flag and the spools not spinning, I'll wait til I see it move again or wait 30 seconds or so before picking up my Frabil and checking for the fish. If an eye is just holding it, they'll spit it if they feel any movement on the line. I may be a bit overly cautious with my tipups, but I rarely get gut hooked fish and land 90%+ of them.

I tried using circle hooks for tip-up fishing with live minnows. With big shiners and northerns, they had a very low hooking percentage. I also tried them with smaller shiners and chubs for lake trout, hooking percentage was OK.

I've seen circle hooks work great in saltwater, but I wouldn't recommend them for ice fishing.

Some argue you get fewer flags with QS rigs. But when you do get flags you have far better hook-up percentages. I have fished qs rigs at the same time as single hooks and out comes out about the same for me as far as bites go. I just have far better success hooking up with qs rigs.