• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Laptop and Software questions

MuleShack

Question

I'm contemplating getting a laptop partly for work and partly for personal stuff.

All the new stuff (looking at a Dell) comes with Vista installed. In order to be compatible with my work files I need the office 2000/XP installed.

Can I use the same software package from my home computer and install it on the new laptop? I can only use one computer at a time anyway, just curious if that was legal?

Secondly, can you have 2 versions of Office installed on the same computer (vista OEM, and also put XP on there for other uses)? Anyone able to answer that?

I do a lot of Access database programming for work and was wondering what would be a good "minimum" platform to get for a laptop with that usage? I dont want to go too small, but dont want to spend a ton of money either. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Ok, just to recap here...

I could order one that has Vista as the operating system with no office software. Then buy a Office XP Pro to install and that would run in the Vista envirnment with no problems?

As long as we're on the topic of laptops, there are so many upticks in the pricing and one has to wonder if the "extra" is worth it, what is the biggest bang for the buck?

Like the processors...you can go from a 5300 to a 8100 core 2 duo is that worth the upgrad or is the 5300 enough in its own.

Then they have the 2MB Cache vs the 3MB Cache in the processor...worth it?

Memory: 1Gig, vs 2Gig vs 4 Gig if your not doing video games what does one actually need. I hear Vista chews a lot of the memory up, so is 2Gig or 3Gig the safe bet?

They say the LED screens save power (batt time) anyone know how much and if that is worth the upgrade vs LCD and if you loose quality?

Lastly does the 17" monitor on the laptop get too big for mobility or not? or is the 15" too small?

So far all my research has been over the computer so far, i'll have to get out to a shop this week to take a look.

Thanks.

Office 2007 is a whole new learning experience in itself!

XP for life!

I tried office 07 last year for a little while and i was sooooo frustrated i walked away. It is such a new learning curve that would take quite a bit of time for a company to get used to it. I know if ours switched over, that would be a night mare with time spent answering questions about everything.

If you're going with the Vista OS, RAM is crucial to it's performance or lack of. I would go minimum of 2GB, but 3GB would be even better. It is a resource hog and I've talked to many people who have been disappointed in Vista, only to find out it's because of the small memory that the PC was sold with to make it more a more affordable package. Those who upgraded their RAM said it was like having a new PC and were beginning to warm up to the Vista environment since it was running smoother than before with the small RAM which made it frustrating to use.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Anyone tell me if the cache in the processer is worth the $150 bucks? what value does that add?

Usually, faster processors come with more cache by default. So, I'd guess in addition to larger cache, you're buying a faster processor or a higher/newer series/model of processor.

Larger cache generally means faster because certain bits of information can be stored in this cache rather than fetching it from the normal memory which is slower both in sheer speed, and because it's further away from the actual CPU core. Whether or not it makes a big difference likely depends on what you do with the computer.

Afaik, the more precessor intensive tasks you use, the more larger cache helps.

If ones primary use is writing word documents, surfing the web, sending email etc, probably not much benefit. If one works with large video or high megapixel photo work, large audio files, or does lots number crunching stuff, it might be worth it.

About the RAM memory, the last computer articles I've read seem to indicate that 2GB is the sweet spot for Vista. Meaning, going beyond 2GB had little increase in performance. I have not, however, done a direct comparison for myself.

When I bought my system with Vista Home Premium, they recommended 1G RAM. Due to issues related to my previous system I elected to double the RAM up front and so I upgraded the package to 2G right away. Vista by itself uses a lot of RAM and that's why they don't recommend anything less than 1G but the OS is not the only thing that uses RAM memory.

If I had it to do over again, I think I might have gone 3G but so far the 2G has been working fine. When I monitor my RAM usage I find that I rarely use more than 50% at this time. As we continue to add new software, software upgrades are added, and the internet continues to consume more I'm sure a time will come when the 2G will become an issue.

Bob

RAM usage depends so much on how you use your PC. For most home users, web browser, email, maybe a word document, and some photo or video editing, 2 gig or more. It all depends on what you are going to have running at one time. At work I can have upwards of 12 applications open looking at this, monitoring that checking the config on this, that the more RAM the merrier. My previous laptop only had a Gig of RAM and it got very doggy at times.

Considering the cost of upgrading RAM now days(cheap), I would bump it up a little. You can never have too much.

I hear what you're saying about having many packages open at once. In fact, as I am writing this I have open:

Lotus Notes, 2 sessions of Excel, Microsoft Explorer, an Elau PLC software package, Microsoft Word, Adobe Reader, 4 sessions of Power-Link (java based), and Internet Explorer. I'm surprised I don't have a couple CAD sessions and one or more sessions of Allen-Bradley ControlLogix and Factory Talk open as well. Give me another hour and I'm sure it will change.

Bob

It seems there are a lot of you that relate Office2007 with XP. These are two totally different software packages.

No Bob we don't. And yes we know the difference between an operating system "XP" and the New version of Office that Microsoft has ruined trying to make it prettier and more user friendly.

It's all about marketing "MONEY" these days and not making a better product.

Generally when I see upgrade or new and improved I run for the hills... grin

Well I took the plunge today on a Dell from their outlet site.

I went into big blue (BB) today to check out features and sized and pricing and to look at the competition pricing.

Then I went online and found a good deal...once i knew what a good deal was.

I got a Studio 15 with a T8100 core 2 (2.1/800mhz 3Mb Cache)

Vista home Premium

256mb Radeon Video card

finger reader

200GB free fall sensor hard drive (7200 rpm)

15.4 WXGA Led 1440 x 900 screen

wireless card WiFi

blue tooth

2.0 mp web camera built in

3GB DDR Ram

CD/DVD combo drive

DC plug in for truck power

Carrying case

With Tax and shipping $1018

Now with the money i saved ($300)I can buy my Office XP pro and install.

Thanks again for the information provided.