• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nils ??

Esox_Magnum

Was just up at my local bait shop and there on the wall hangs a brand new 8" Nils. I have been thinking of upgrading from my current auger and can sell it to defray the cost. Question is are they that much better? Current auger is a Mag 2000 head with a Lazer auger that I'm not entirely impressed with. I had an awsome auger stolen a couple years ago that I miss dearly, an older Lazer without the power point that drilled like no other. Is it worth the $540 or whatever the sticker price is?

My buddy was in the market and I introduced him to the Nils and he bought it two years ago. Let me just say that he is very happy and gets asked on a very regular basis to borrow it often!

It will be my next purchase for running and gunning.

Not quite sure what you are unimpressed with on the Lazer Mag ... If it does not seem to be cutting or running right - I would suggest having it looked over by a SM service shop. If it is running correctly,it should cut without any downward pressure required by the operator. Cutting should be smooth, clean, fast all the way thru the hole. If you are not having these results, you may need to replace the blades and or have the blade pitch checked/adjusted.

If the motor is not running quite right, try running Amsoil Saber at 100:1. It will start better and run stronger.

If you have $540 burning a hole in your packet and you don't need to upgrade anything else, then I'm sure you would be happy with going to a Nil's. Personally, Unless you are a hard core run & gunner - I would put upgrading a flasher, shack, rods/reels, GPS before your auger.

I have all good equipment, QF III in great shape, LX-5, Expedition with 2 chips, good rod/reel combos and more lures than I should need. I had a great auger stolen and found this current auger at a good price and after fixing broken recoil, new carb its like new. But even with the Lazer bit on it, it still doesn't cut like the old Lazer did. Out of pocket will only be around $250 to upgrade after selling the current one so cost isn't that bad. While I'm not a run an gunner per say I do drill 6-7 holes a set for the 2 of us sometimes 10 per set if the daughters visiting.

And I guess I have always wanted a Nils and seeing someone local has one now I got the itch to have it. I'm sure he will also cut me a little bit of a deal since I spend alot there and help him out a bit.

my lazer mag cut like [PoorWordUsage] until i got the pitch adjusted...after that it cut like a champ...started in 2 pulls...real fast with no pressure whatsoever...loved that auger but sold it to a buddy and took that money and put it towards a nils to give a try.

i wanted to try a nils for awhile and he was on the market for an auger so it worked out nice...haven't tried the nils yet...she's just sittin here waiting.

Just used my 6" Nils this morning for the first time. As I traded it up for a Lazer, I definately fell in love with this. This thing absolutely hates ice. Using both hands in a circular motion takes a lil bit to get used to, but is the key factor in cutting a very nice and in a very short time. Two thumbs up over here.

Just got my Nils today from the Outdoor pro store. Amased how small and lite the unit is. Started it up and amased again how quite it is. After breaking it in there happend to be one of those wisky barrels sitten there frozen to the top with ice so I had to try it. Holy cow! that is fast.