• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's finally hear 3" of gorgeous black ice and the bluegills are snapping. I have been out the past two days on the Wisconsin River and caught over 50 fish each time. I kept 6 or so each time for a nice little fish fry later. But as usual be VERY CAREFULL the ice isn’t all safe yet so stick to the areas you know are safe and, good hunting.

Thanks for the post. Been hearing a lot of reports from the usual spots. Ice looks to be in the 3-4 inch range. But as mentioned above, it is the river so be careful. Will probably be out tommorrow and friday, will post. Seems to be hit and miss(which it always is in the backwaters). If anyone is new to the area, feel free to drop me a line.

New to Point this year and been looking for some fishing spots. Took a drive last weekend and scouted a few lakes within an hour. Anyone have any spots they wouldnt mind sharing with me. shoot me an email if you dont want the world to know. I am going to school at uwsp and am willing to drive an hour or so t catch some crappies or a few walleyes.

[email protected]

Went out wednesday and friday.Wednesday was slow, managed a few crappies and a couple gills.

Friday was much better, fished three different backwaters, managed a bunch of nice crappies from 9-13", a bunch of gills up to 8 3/4", a largemouth, a perch, and a couple of walleyes. All 3-7ft of water with spikes, waxies, and crappie minnows. Ice was a good 4-5 inches all around.

I was out twice last week. Not jumping out of the holes but we were managing.

Fished Rusty's, it was so-so. A lot of people. Caught a lot of smaller gills but managed some nice ones as well. Waxies and rosy reds in 10ft of water. Mostly holding on the bottom or up a couple of feet.

Fished a spot in the red bridge area(out towards the main channel) on saturday. Was slow fishing until about an hour before sundown. Managed a bunch of really nice gills and a few just under legal walleyes. Wxies and Shiners 3-4ft of water. Also fished Dubay earlier that day and got nothing.

Other places I have fished this year have been hit and miss and reports as well. The Pipes was popping a few weeks ago but now is really slow. Same with the river rd. slough and the stevens point dam. Best advice I have is to be prepared to hit more than one spot in a day to find the fish.

Fished for a few hours this evening for walleye and pike on a WI River backwater. Golden shiners in 3-4ft of water along a weedline. Had a couple of tip-ups out and jigged with a swedish pimple/fathead combo. Had 5 flags, caught 2 eyes off of those, one 14" and one 15" fish. Also caught one 14" walleye jigging. No pike. Pretty slow but managed a few.

Lunker, Thinking about heading out to see my cousin in Mosinee this weekend. I think he fishes on the river right in town. I have never been out there just wondering if you know of any action in that area. Wouldn't mind finding a few crappies or gills for the frying pan. any info on that area would be much appreciated. My e-mail is [email protected]

Was out today on a Portage County lake. Managed lots of gills though they were finicky, pretty nice average size as well. Also caught a half dozen largemouth. 15-25 ft of water in a deep(40'+) clear lake. Fish were holding close to the bottom.

Things have slowed down considerably for panfishing over the last month, though one or two river spots are still producing. A few of the area lakes are producing gills. People have been doing well on crappies all over the river and up on Dubay, and the walleyes as well. With the warm up over the last few weeks, also seeing more boats out under the Dubay dam...

Friend and I were out on a couple of Portage Co. lakes yesterday. Fished Rhinehart, but it was terrible, just a few potato chip gills and perch. Moved over to Sunset for the last hour or so of light. Got on some decent gills in 22ft, and my buddy caught a 16" rainbow in 15ft. Not bad for 2 days before the trout close.

We checked out Sunset a few days ago and also found some nice gills. I think it's done for ice fishing now.

How about a few more of you joining in here and have a little fun in this forum. What do you say can you post a little? Make it our own little area help center.