• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to look for in a LCD monitor?

mmeyer

Question

Hey All, I'm considering a new lcd monitor for my pc and just want to know what to look for. I use my pc for mostly photo work and surfing the net. What do I need to look for as far as resolution, contrast etc. I have about $500 to spend and would like to get something in the 20-26" range if possible.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Contrast and brightness are practically identical on all LCD's. Resolution is another story. In that range you are talking either 1680x1050 or 1920x1200. At 20" you'll want 1680x1050, and at 24" 1920x1200. At 22" though it's up to you. 1920x1200 on a 22" screen will be very sharp, but also make text very small. You can enlarge it, but in general if you have poor vision go for the lower resolution, and higher if you have good vision. That's only for 22" as it's an in between size.

Don't go 26", the panels aren't manufactured in nearly the quantity of the smaller sizes and thus carry a high premium. Plus a 24" monitor is already gigantic (about the width of a standard keyboard tray looking at your desk space).

If possible, look for one that has component video inputs, you can have it double as an HDTV then (mine does, also does PIP).