• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheelhouses on snow covered lakes

winnyman

Am looking to purchase a wheel house but would like user opinions of traveling on snow cover. Also like opinions of the negatives (if any) of 8ft vs 6.5ft units in these situations. I know that resort owners dont like wheelhouses (or anyone for that matter) parking on their roads and drilling holes (understandable). There are obviously times where snowmobile/portables are the only way to get somewhere if you want to get away from the cities. However most of the time I am able to drive my truck where I want after the snow has had time to compress. Does the added weight of the house make it much more difficult? Am worried about cross country travel and curious as to how often wheelhouses are of no value as they cant go anywhere except plowed roads. Does everyone that owns one swear by them and wouldnt be without one or are there many of you that have experience weekend trips from [PoorWordUsage] due to my concerns. I have a Nissan Titan.

Sounded fine until you said you have a titan. grin When you get snow about a foot deep or more it becomes difficult to get around but not impossible. I have had times where I had to shovel a path at each drift I would hit in order to get thru it. Where theres a will theres a way. I pull a 6.5 x 12 wheelhouse with a Dakota.

I bought my first wheel house last year. I was concerned about the same thing. You are right to assume that no resort owner will want you to stop on their roads and drill holes. But in all cases last year I was able to pull of the road and set up the house. We go to URL alot, and they have off shoots plowed that make that easier. You also can pull through the snow if you are careful, and have a good shovel along.

Once you are out there with it once or twice you will be glad you have it.

My first wheelhouse had wheels to the inside that followed my truck tracks through the snow. It was nice once you got on the lake, but it was kinda wide to see around going down the highway. My new house is narrower with wheels to the outside and it is great going down the road, but it does not pull as good through snow on the lake. My cousin has a v-plow on his truck so that has made life a lot easier.

How about pulling a wheelhouse with an ATV? I picked up a 6.5x15 wheelhouse this year and was wondering how well an ATV can move it from spot to spot on the lake? With stock tires (Polaris Sportsman), how deep of snow can I realistically pull my wheelhouse through?

Blaze,

I was pulling the old wheelhouse (6.5x10) thru about 8 inches of slushy snow last year. It didn't do so well. I had to shovel a lot to get where I wanted it. Almost had a heart attack. I did not have chains on it though. I would highly recommend chains.

How about pulling a wheelhouse with an ATV? I picked up a 6.5x15 wheelhouse this year and was wondering how well an ATV can move it from spot to spot on the lake? With stock tires (Polaris Sportsman), how deep of snow can I realistically pull my wheelhouse through?

Biggest problem I see is tongue weight with an IRS machine, you will need to look into a rear suspension lockout bar. Kolpin makes one . do a search for Kolpin IRS

I've pulled my 2850 lb (loaded) 6.5 X 17 fish house through all flavors of mess with my, get this, Isuzu Amigo! The only time I've gotten stuck was last year on Burntside in Ely. I got into an area with 3-4" of slush with about 7-9" of snow on top of that. To get out, I unhooked the house, backed up a few inches to build up speed, and drove in a HUGE circle that connected to a road and made it as close to the house as I could. After about 8 passes, I hooked the house back up, and made it on my merry way. All that was on 3/4 worn all season tires grin Other than that, I've been good.

This year, I'm re-shoeing the truck with some Winterforces gringrin

I have had a wheel houses for the last 25 years. The old guy that showed me his back then said that the wheels must follow in the truck tracks, he is right. It tracks so much easier.

We drive out to check or find places to go, then pull the house out in the same tracks. Once there is a trail its not that bad. We have hooked a truck in front of another pulling the house throught very deep snow out to places, and have gotten there. Yes its can beat trucks up in a hurry, but we were fishing with nobody around us.

If that was a house with the wheels on the outside, it never would have happened. Yes you can plow a road to get there, but then remember so can everyone else get there, is that something you want or need.

My next thought would be to get a quad with tracks on it, a house with the wheels on the outside and put skis under the wheels of the house. Then you could go any where you wanted, I think or am I wrong.

Another million dollar idea for someone.