• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

locating coyotes

Last night a buddy and i were out trying to locate some yotes and man we found quite a few. My buddy has never been coyote hunting before and when he heard the yotes call back his face was undescribeable! He can't wait to get out there. There was one location we had about 5-6 yotes yippin and howlin back at us. So i took him out to a tree line close by and started a distress call and boom within 2 mins there was 3 yotes about 40 yards. Unfortunatly we didn't have any guns with just there for the experience this time. but i think i've got him hooked! Can't wait for some snow!!!

What do you guys all use to locate coyotes? I've used a high pitched elk call, siren, plain howl. They all seem to work good.

nope the coyotes never even knew we were there! I have 2 tree stands on the tree line that we were in. First saw the coyotes at bout 40 yards and they were just walking around. We watched them for i dont know i would say 2-3 minutes or so and then they just kinda pranced right back to where they were comming from. We waited a while and then got back down and left. Really cool experience!

I don't like to howl/ yip. Lot of times they will come in silent. I feel that by using the howls as locaters, you won't get them all to howl, and you lose a valueable calling technique. My uncle likes to howl to see where they are and its been bad for our calling. He has had several come to the pickup and that gets them educated fast.

Go out at times when your local city whistle blows. We have that at 6pm and 9pm. I like to get out 5 min before and sit where i think/know there are some and hear where they are and go after them. That only works for moonlight calling, but is very deadly. Otherwise get your self a siren and do it that way.

I don't like to howl/ yip. Lot of times they will come in silent. I feel that by using the howls as locaters, you won't get them all to howl, and you lose a valueable calling technique. My uncle likes to howl to see where they are and its been bad for our calling. He has had several come to the pickup and that gets them educated fast.

That's actually a good point. I guess I never hang around very long waiting for an answer, but in pressured areas or where you plan on hunting, I could see how howling might not be the best thing to do.

You have a very good point. Although i dont use location calls all that much, but that should be very effective. Most of the time i go by word of mouth by local farmers around the area seeing or hearing them. Then i plan my attack.

Don't go out to locate coyotes with a howler. All you are doing is educating them. At least here in Minnesota a very high percentage of coyotes don't howl back. They just come in to check you out. Potentially, everytime you stand by your truck and howl you are educating every coyote in that area. That will make your efforts to kill them all the more difficult. If you must try to locate them, get out of the truck, walk about looking for tracks, scat and kills. Figure out what kind of habitat they are in and then sneak in, howl or distress call and kill them!

basically anywhere you see a dense woods and a nearby cattail swap,drainage ditches,grassy areas connecting to a woods. are all great places to start. Go further south and you will hit some ravines and river bottoms. Theres always yotes hangin round there. Get out there and scout and it will pay off.

with a get together like that, depending on how many guys would wanna actually do it we could push some woods for some yotes and fox. Thats always pretty fun. Surround a section have posters and some guys walk and have a lunch n sancks in the afternoon. I'd be up for it. Moosehunter maybe we should see if we can get something started and give it a try huh?

with a get together like that, depending on how many guys would wanna actually do it we could push some woods for some yotes and fox. Thats always pretty fun. Surround a section have posters and some guys walk and have a lunch n sancks in the afternoon. I'd be up for it. Moosehunter maybe we should see if we can get something started and give it a try huh?

Even if it's not anything "formal", still sounds like a good time. I haven't been on any drives in years!! They can be very exciting that's for sure!!! Shoot me an email and let's talk!!