• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deadstick

mozy

Right now Im using a older St. Croix deadstick that is ok but I dont like the eye placement. Last year I got a meatstick and it was a awesome jigging rod but I find it a bit short for a true deadstick.

I just ordered a T.B. 32" deadstick. Im anxious to run that baby this year.

There are a lot of rods that will work ok as a deadstick. I have a rod rocker and that works great for deadsticking.

I also will take a icebuster bobber and cut it down just so it stay on top of the water. Thats a great way to fish if you like bobbers

One tip is I will cut down a ice buster so my bait just barely sinks. Crappies will go crazy for this slow drop at times.

FYI ... IMO If you use something like the rod rocker II, you can get buy with out having to spend the bucks on a dedicated deadstick like the one from TB. You will be able to use an existing rod in your inventory. It will rock freely in the holder to signal minnow action and if they are biting it will have limited resistance to keep the fish on long enought to grap the pole and set it.

Yep!

My definition of “dead sticking” has been similar as above, but with live bait as the presentation in a similar fashion as below. The live bait makes the only movement, minus a jig every once and awhile to get the bait moving.

ATqyckZTaeZyF5VO8q80-92JX5-E5inH0300.jpg

Or This:

Cz7sGt3gwhaCPP3vqIaHADW2ivDd-5lz0300.jpg

You just let it go, until the rod tip starts to pulls down or spring bobber if equipped. The rod must be free moving to a point where the bait is not pulling the rod down.

I think many people have different definitions of the term “dead sticking” and mine is above.

Similar idea but different approach. With typical deadsticks you don't have to setup a bobber/bobber stop, just drop it down the hole to the desired depth. Also don't have to readjust your bobber for changing depths. to hold the rod some people use the straps pictured above, or a rod rocker type product, or just lay on their bucket (riskier for losing down hole).

Instead of a float bobber, Deadsticks rely on tip action to detect the bites. That is why it is important to use a rod with a very soft tip/spring bobber/rocker rod holder so the fish does not feel the resistance on the bait.

Should always have some weight either via the lure or split shot. Unlike traditional bobber guys (split shot & hook), guys use just about anything, but typically tip with a live minnow. Spoons, jigs, plain hook, etc. If the bite is neutral to negative, some may tip the lure with a minnow head, waxie/euros, and have heard of guys using small plastics like a Little Atom Nuggie (they have very flimsey tales that will move with any slight water movement).

Many times I will use one line for jigging to get them to come in. I will also have a deadstick down so if they want a non moving bait, they will hit the deadstick. I have found this to work very well in combination with a jigging rod. On the deadstick, I will have a plain hook with a couple small splitshot and a live minnow. As stated above, a good deadstick will have a light action tip that will acutally show the minnow wiggle the tip of the rod.

two good rods for this would be Thorne's Bros deadstick and jason Mitchell's meatstick. I use both and they are both very good rods for this type fishing.

Not familiar with that rod - if is described as a noodle rod, or the tip is very soft (typically fiberglass tip) then it will likely work. Since you are typically watch the tip for movement to detect bites, it is best to have a colored tip to make it easier to see. Another option would be to have a spring bobber on the rod.

If your Bro series is none of the above, you can look at picking up a Rod Rocker II or something similar and use it with your rod.