• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What did you learn in 2008

bassNspear

Biggest thing for me this year was using the right equipment for the job. I used to run a bunch of rods that were all pretty much multi-purpose and pretty much threw any lure on any rod. Well I have since revamped my way of planning my rod/reel/lure combos. The most drastic of all was the purchase of a crankin specific rod last winter and using that for crankbaits. So much easier to keep a fish buttoned up when they try to shake that DT10 free when you have a soft tip on the rod to absorb the shock.

That and it is not always about catching the most and biggest fish. Take some time to bring an old friend, a new friend, your grandpa or grandma, the kids, the parents, the neighbor three houses down.... out fishing with you. It is so much more fun to enjoy a day on the water with a friend or loved one. And if they are novice anglers, you can teach them a thing or two. Who knows, they might become your favorite fishing partner.

Persistence will pay off. If something isn't working, it's at least brought you 1 step closer to what is working.

That said I had a terrible year on plastics, though I didn't do much fishing over the warm months do to some additions to the cabin.

I did learn that a 12" bass took over and stayed all year long in my shoreline restoration area. Stupid thing got caught every time I threw something off the dock, even though from the dock I usually am using a small fly for bluegills.

1) That I need to start fishing a drop-shot rig. cry After having Dittrich clean my clock a couple times this year, I am just going to give in and do it.

2) Adding a flouro leader to braided line really does make a difference. And, the knot to join them (uni, albright, blood, etc.) either takes 60 seconds or less to tie or turns into a session where I use every swear word known to man.

I can't think of what else I changed opinions on this year. I still like Comidas more than any other plastic out there. But, I also started to fish more tiny finesse baits. I'll have to think about it more.

Quote:
1) That I need to start fishing a drop-shot rig. cry After having Dittrich clean my clock a couple times this year, I am just going to give in and do it.

BOOOOO ha ha ha~`````````````` (thats my devilish laugh)

For me, its that I over think too much at times. I sometimes do best if I just fish. AAAANNNNDDD I learned going 75 MPH in a bass boat is WAYYYYYYYY too much fun! And at 75 MPH an outboard motor can drink some gas.

Hiya -

Hmmm...cool question.

- I learned a lot more about suspended smallies, which was something I set out to do at the beginning of the season. Watching fish on the graph come up 10 feet to whack a drop-shot rig 14 feet off the bottom is pretty neat. I just wish they'd stop hitting the sinker so often. I just wish I understood why they suspend or don't day to day. One day they're high fliers, the next they're belly to the bottom, and Lord only knows why.

- I learned (again) that the more I learn about smallmouths, the less I seem to know.

- I really learned to like swimming jigs. They're getting the nod now in a lot of situations where I used to throw a spinnerbait. Now I just need to figure out how to keep the hammerhandles from biting them off before I go broke replacing them... (Tried braid, but it seemed like I missed a lot of fish with it compared to Copoly)

- Sadly, I also learned to really like Lucky Craft Slender Pointers for smallies. Great baits, but the price...ouch.

- I (re)learned how much I like football jigs in mid-summer.

- I learned that when you're in a hurry to re-bait and leave a big container of Gulp Alive open, then boot it across the deck while fighting a fish, it *really* makes a mess...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

1. KEEP IT SIMPLE. There are a TON of baits out there and they are fun to try, but when you need to catch fish, stick with what you know works and what you have confidence in. There is no need to go to a lake 3 hours north and throw a carolina rig when they have never seen a texas rig either and it will probably catch more fish and you can throw it just about anywhere.

2. SLOW DOWN. I fish pretty slow in my opinion. But it is very easy to get fired up when you get some big fish and start getting away from what got you there...

i learned this year that i actually can fish deep! felt very good when i found my first deep water bass school this year. Also that i need to slow down when i fish deep and have more patience when deep water fishing

I learned to have good communication with my teammates when fishing in team format tournaments. We usually fish different baits due to our style preference, and it helps to be open to fish what your partner is throwing if he is catching fish.

I am still learning how to put together a good tournament gameplan. Most importantly, making quick decisions and getting the boat to our next spot quickly and efficiently.

Also, don't rely on prefishing and past experiences on the lake come tournament day always. Conditions and patterns change daily and I need to be more "in the moment" and find the pattern for that particular day and lake.

Lastly, fish your strengths on tournament days and practice your weaknesses during prefishing or leisure fishing hours.

Goals for next year...spend more time in the front of the boat working on boat control and developing winning patterns while on the water during tournament hours.

Carl

2008 turned everything I knew about fishing upside down. With that being said....

Patterns change constantly.

Plastics rawk.

Every lake is different. Applying one pattern to several lakes usually doesn't work.

Pike enjoy my x-raps more than bass.

Long pauses with a jerk bait yield great results.

Power hour at dawn can be killer.

Turning someone on to fishing is incredibly awesome to see.

T-I-P hotline works.

Hummm...

This is a good question. I mostly learned that the more days you can go fishing, the more often you will have success. I also started drop-shotting this year, and have to say it is pretty tough to beat. Other than that just learning tons of little things that all add up. Oh yeah, I learned that FM is an awesome resource for getting tips and techniques from other people, not to mention making new friends in the process!

Pike enjoy my x-raps more than bass.

Pike definitely enjoy any jerkbait style presentation more than any other fish. Just buy a Suick and give it a try, you won't believe how many pike try hitting those.

And RK my braid has held up pretty well when a bait is completely engulfed by a pike.

I learned that the secret to catching more fish is to spend more time on the water.

I learned that when you find a school of bass and have a senko on your line it can be one of the best times you can have!

For me, its that I over think too much at times. I sometimes do best if I just fish. AAAANNNNDDD I learned going 75 MPH in a bass boat is WAYYYYYYYY too much fun! And at 75 MPH an outboard motor can drink some gas.

This is what im talking about!

Quote:

BOOOOO ha ha ha~`````````````` (thats my devilish laugh)

yeah but for all the lakes you metro guys fish is there even enough water to get up to 75mph?

Biggest thing for me this year was using the right equipment for the job. I used to run a bunch of rods that were all pretty much multi-purpose and pretty much threw any lure on any rod. Well I have since revamped my way of planning my rod/reel/lure combos. The most drastic of all was the purchase of a crankin specific rod last winter and using that for crankbaits. So much easier to keep a fish buttoned up when they try to shake that DT10 free when you have a soft tip on the rod to absorb the shock.

That and it is not always about catching the most and biggest fish. Take some time to bring an old friend, a new friend, your grandpa or grandma, the kids, the parents, the neighbor three houses down.... out fishing with you. It is so much more fun to enjoy a day on the water with a friend or loved one. And if they are novice anglers, you can teach them a thing or two. Who knows, they might become your favorite fishing partner.

ditto.

I just got back in to fishing a couple of years ago and was using one old fiberglass rod. the more each time I fished I realized one more thing I could use. then I got a graphite rod for Xmas. it was then I realized I was dumb for trying to use one rod for all.

I also bought a boat this year and finally had time to go out and fish when and where I wanted. this gave me time to look and try.

I'll keep it simple...FUN! That's what I learned, or re-learned in '08 about bass fishing.

Hands down bass fishing is the most fun of all, despite my liking (addiction) of muskies, I had the most pure fun and enjoyment fishing bass in '08.

Without going into detail, I learned a ton about line/lures/knots/patterns/presentation, but time after time I had my most enjoyable days out bass fishing. Lots more to learn, but a green and brown 20 incher in the same hour is hard to knock!

I learned that you cant always rely on the same spots year after year. You gotta burn some gas.

Found alot of new spots on reliable lakes I fish.

I did very well, but next year I will blow this year out of the water.

I agree with you! I went up to Canada this year with my mom and her husband. He has been going up the same spot for over 20 years and usually knows where to go. Well, the first day or so we couldn't get much of anything, a couple perch and a couple of bigger walleyes, so we tried a new spot and got our fill of some great eating size walleye!

So, trying new spots can really pay off is something I have learned. And, if you don't know the lake, just drift! smile

Mine was to be patitient out there. if the fish are biting slow but there big fish just be patitient rely on what you know. Or if the fish are just biting on something that is sitting on the bottom let it sit for 10 or 15 seconds.