• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ammo

esoxguy2004

Hey guys, last night we held our annual Employee Hunting Seminar at work (Joe's Sporting Goods in St.Paul). We talked about all the new hunting clothing and accessories. We even did something that in their 30 some years of business they've never done before. We cut open a shell from every brand of 12 Ga., 3" Steel cartridge we sell. The difference in components and bb size and quality was unreal. I've never been able to compare them side by side like that. The owner, who is an ammunition guru, takes ammunition as sort of a hobbie. He showed us so many differnces in each shell and noted every quality aspect so that we can better educate the consumers.

After comparing side by side all of the different brands of shotgun shells, I can honestly say, Federal makes the best shell. I'm sorry if I offend anyone out there, but their bb sizes and shapes were perfectly round and consistent. The powder was fine and didn't clump together, which allows a better and faster burn process. Overall, it was a better shell compared to the rest.

After seeing the differences in each shell, we are trying to figure out a way to build a display so when customers come in, they can see for themselves the differences in quality. So in a few weeks, hopefully we will have something people can take a look at.

Also, I must note Sept. 11th & 12th is our annual ammo sale. Watch the Outdoor News and local newspapers for ads. Apparently,a single box of Fedral Speed Shok in 12 Ga., 3" Steel shells will be $6.99!! At that price and quality, you just can't get any better. Hopefully you all take advantage of our product knowledge and come on in and chat with us. After last night, we are all so excited for this years hunting season!

Wow, that is really interesting. That display would be something to see but I'm willing to bet some manufacturer's might have an issue with that.

Anyway, I've shot Federal shells for a long time and just seemed to have better results with them. Every now and then we'll have some Winchester shells around and they just haven't worked as well. When I'm talking about shells working better, I'm talking about more ducks dropping out of the air.

Maybe its a superstitious thing, maybe a confidence thing, I don't know... but whatever it is, I just seam to hit more ducks when I'm shooting Federal shells. Go figure.

Did you guys cut open any Bismuth or Tungsten Iron shells??

Unfortunately, they probably won't. Joe's has been family owned since the 1930's. It started out as a small bait shop and expanded into skiing and outdoor equipment. I know it's probably a drive for ya, but it's worth it.

If there are any Filson clothing fans out there, Filson reps from all over the state are coming out to display all of their products. Joe's is the largest Filson distributors in the country. The reps are bringing atleast one of every item in their catalog and selling them at special prices. The event is Aug. 26th at 7;00 PM. Originally, people who came to the grand opening of our new store last year and registered for gifts recieved flyers for the Filson event. We are asking that people who are interested in attending call and RSVP for the event. There will be snacks and refreshments for everyone who attends. Please RSVP if you plan on attending!!

Shorelunch,

We are still waiting for the Federal Pheasants Forever load to come in. We did look at the Federal Wing Shok and the Game Shok. The copper plated pellets in the Wing Shok looked very consistent. The powder was fine and dense, and the buffer was also fine. I'll let you know how it compares to the Pheasants Forever Load.

If you are looking for any Upland Hunting Clothing, holy cow, come into Joe's. We've got a ton of quality products.

All I will shoot is federal. I spent 3 summers working there while going to college and seeing the great lengths they go through to make sure they put out a quality product sold me on federal. I am sure others go through the same measures but I like to support the people I worked with and they are also local here in Anoka MN. They had some great employee discounts, come hunting season I wish I still worked there. Adam