• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cameras

mrklean

I have a camera, actually two cameras. I love using them - like you say, you can see what the fish are doing and how they react. And the entertainment value is great. But I really don't use them all that often, because I like to be mobile and the camera is one more thing to set up, take down, move, etc.

I use them a lot if I'm leaving my house in one spot, of if my kid is with me.

I have had mine for years and have found many different uses for it. For one, I have learned how fish react to different variations of movement on the baits. I have also learned that line twist will make your jigs spin like helicopter blades. I use it to locate different things under the ice, weeds, rocks, little humps. It has been a very useful tool in teaching me many different things. Its also nice to take in the boat and troll along a break line or weed line, to see if you find anything that looks different. Get a decent one as though. Aqua-Vu and Marcum both produce some excellent camera options for a reasonable price.

Last season I used a marCum VS380 and loved the camera. I could find different structure and also locate weed edges. Its also very helpful when you can see how the fish react to your bait when you jig it.

New for me this year is the MarCum 825 color camera. I will love it for early ice fishing for locating those green weeds still alive.

Truthfully, its not with me on every outing but when I want to use it, it is a great tool to have along.

I remember the first time I used a underwater camera, I was so amased at the picture quality and the fish, I would watch the fish suck the bait into its mouth and I would forget to set the hook. A great entertainment toll for the kids also.

I purchased a Marcum VS560 used a few months ago. I've used it a few times out of the boat and it's already been incredible for marking spots for the upcoming ice season. The Marcum's offer Sony video cameras and are real nice quality. As others suggested, don't skimp on the camera department if you do pull the trigger on one. Good luck.

I purchased an Aqua-Vu Scout last year and have learned a lot from it also. I agree that it is a hassle if you are moving around, but once set up I love it. I taped it to the cord so that it hangs looking down instead of sideways. This allows me to suspend it above the bait and in some water I am as high as 6 feet above the bottom. You will be amazed at what you see on the camera versus what you think is happening via the flasher. Those sunnie sniffers may actually be inactive sunnies suspended below your bait...sometimes you can get them to bite by seeing the jig bouncing in their face...other times nothing works. I would recommend a camera to anyone who wants to add something fun to their gear...the point about line twist is for real...unbelieveable how fast a jig can spin with out you being aware of it....unfortunately I am not a jiggle stick fisherman so will deal with the spin. Most tourney panfisherman have gone back to the jiggle stick to eliminate the spin on finicky fish.

Good Luck...there is a guy in Glenwood that is selling the Scout fairly reasonable if you are interested (they are new and come with the ice pod).

They are alot of fun at times but losing fish from them getting tangled around the cable and times of hard visibility with the lower end models gets old after sometime. Flasher come first!

I never fish out of the same hole my camera is down.My buddy and I each run a camera at the same time.With the flip over house I drill us each a hole right in each corner by our feet where the sled meets the canvas.When you can see 15-20 with the camera the flasher is a waste of time.The flasher does not tell you which species of fish is down there.Watching the fish react to your presentation on a camera and figuring out what will trigger them.I have another buddy that last year watched me bring in crappie after crappie using the camera.He was being outfished 10 fish to 1.He targets crappies and I could care less about the crappies as I target the walleyes.He now has a camera.Sure you will have fish get tangled in the camera at times.Last year my other buddy that also has a camera caught a 7.3 walleye and brought it up tangled in a camera.Knowing how to properly set your drag is the key here.Also having the guy who does not have the fish on pull the cameras up helps prevent that.Seeing is believing.Watching the fish react on a camera does not get any better.We also caught a 5.8 walleye less than 10 minutes apart.Gotta love the chubby darters is all i can say.Marcum cameras are good quality with a sony ccd.Everything has its time and place.At nighttime and very low visability times its the flasher.To record the video the 250 has a video out rca hookup.I just hook my camcorder up.My camcorder is a digital and has a remote to pause it,so i can record only when fish are present.My camcorder is a panasonic vdr m50