• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Vex?

Ol' Lund

HEy-

Last year was my first year of ice fishing hard, and i just got a Yukno last year. But everyone i talk to says they wouldn't fish with out a flasher anymore. I want to get a vexilar this year, just don;t know which model to get. That's what i was hoping you could help me out with. I usually fish in water anywhere from a five feet to about forty feet.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

I have a FL-8 and it is more than enough especially for a new ice fisher. unless you are fishing in really deep water you dont need the higher models. you should definately get a vex no matter what model you get. Serously best investment ive ever made!

If you are gonna fish 40 feet of water I would suggest the FL-20 It has multiple settings for different depths, and also allows you to zoom in on the bottom 6 feet or bottome 12 feet while still watching the whole water column. I had the FL-8 ans was kind of forced into the upgrade, which I think is awesome personally. I would also suggest the Dual beam transducer, the the extra bucks it would be nice to have.

i usually don't fish in more then twenty, but there could be some times i find deeper water. I do want the zoom option, so it sounds like the FL-8 is out for me. Possibly the FL18 or FL12, waht would you recommend? i would also like to know about the transducers?

Sold my FL-8 last year, then went and purchased the FL-12. They're basically the same flasher. Only the FL-12 has the flat screen. I guess if I were going to buy my first flasher I would by the Genz pack FL-8SE.

I think I'm going to buy the Blue(Genz)Box for my FL-12, I always liked how the base fits on top of a 5 gallon bucket.

I would say the 12degree cone is best for overall use.If you are going to fish depths of around 40ft at all,the 19 maybe a bit much just as the 9 is not for shallow use.For me the FL20 works great as I am usually fishing with a buddy and the flat screen allows both people easy viewing.This may not work as well though in water of less than 20ft with a 12degree cone.Best thing is to go check out flashers at a retail place or the upcoming Ice fishing show,there are alot of options and price ranges to choose from...Good Luck

If you can swing it - get the FL-18. This is their true workhorse model for most any condition. Get it with the 12 degree transducer (9/19 is not necessary for most people, and just something else to break IMO):

- Built in low power mode for better viewing in weed

- Bottom zoom helps a ton if fish are hugging bottom

- Extremly reliable if you don't beat on the transducer

You can find great deals on used. If you see any for under $300 and only a few years old - jump on it!

If you have the extra funds FL-20 has some additional features that are nice to have. (flat screen, night mode, 12 & 6 foot zoom)

Get a Marcum dude!

If you can, get a Marcum LX-5 wink

I will give you this~

Before getting my LX-5 last winter:

T-ZoV0xMWSVg38GlC1K+E-ox2E6Q96gB0300.jpg

After getting my LX-5 last winter, but same lake:

Kq9ptz0K5BcsizqvfhobOBONiKAn88aa0300.jpg

Take a look at this! My 6 year old loves my Marcom wink

Dad, I see something, but wait!

GBGHubw-PSnqvhQL+6hOrUTQqk6BtEcZ0300.jpg

Look dad what I got wink

A1YGuSl4XtTx+6l1j8AWszY2byClKKxi0300.jpg

If my 6 year old can find fish on a Marcum, anyone can!

Marcum means more and bigger fish, because you find them wink

Do yourself a favor and get the best wink! You will not regret it at all!

If those are examples of more and bigger fish I dont think Ill be getting a Marcum laugh.Seriously though I would like someone to tell me how they can pick off only the biggest fish in a group without having a camera to see them.You can only see so much area with a flasher and I have serious doubts that all the fish in the area your in are showing up on your screen.Im pretty sure your presentation of your bait combined with the the fish that wants to eat it is the most important reason for success.

I would also recommend looking at the other brands. The new Humminbirds have a lot of features for the price. The Ice35 has a dual cone transducer and the ability to zoom in anywhere on the water column, and I've seen them as low as $280. If you're dead set on a Vexilar, you're gonna want either the 18 or the 20. The 12 is essentially an FL-8 with a flat screen and low power mode, not really enough to make the change from the 8. The 18 and 20 both have the zoom function. The 20 has the flat screen, day/night mode, 6/12 ft zoom, and the low power mode (which would be nice for fishing shallow/weedy conditions). The 20 is the way to go if you can afford it, otherwise the 18 will provide most of the same functions.

Quote:
Seriously though I would like someone to tell me how they can pick off only the biggest fish in a group without having a camera to see them

Size of the red bars on the Marcum! Small bar means smaller fish, wider/larger red bars mean bigger fish.

Let see some image's of your big crappie's last year? grin

Hey, that was a nice crappie. About 14" or some on a demandable Metro area lake!

When you see the large red bars on the LX-5 you start making it happen.

Hey, it improved my fishing over a 100% last winter. Look back in this forum and the Panfish forum for my post’s. My fish images started to get larger the more I fished with my Marcum.

Shackbash, I think you need to demo your point bringing some of us on that special lake your getting the 14'ers grin

Good to see your getting a lot of mileage out of those pics ... the ones of your son are great. Hoping my grandson has the same excitement for fishing when he gets that age ... except it will be using a Vexilar wink

You won't go wrong with a vex. Best units for their price. If you can do it, I would go with a fl-18. Very versatile. As for transducers, a 12 degree works for everything, deep or shallow.

Whichever vex you decide on you won't regret it. They all are top of the line and you will catch more and bigger fish once you get one.

Shack, I'd like to point out that he was asking which Vexilar would best fit his needs. I believe he's already made up his mind on which brand he likes and would like suggestoins that fit his style of fishing.

As far as recomending a unit, the 18 is the best one out there for the capabilities it offers and and price range its in. With bottom lock and the shallow water mode, it is the way to go.

Shack, I'd like to point out that he was asking which Vexilar would best fit his needs. I believe he's already made up his mind on which brand he likes and would like suggestoins that fit his style of fishing.

Couldn't have said it better myself fishin4life.

Sorry, Just trying to help a fellow Fm'er out a little grin

I was asking the "Vex. and Marcum" question last year.

I made my choice and am very glad I did!

If you are die hard on any product, I would go full bore on what you like wink

Spend the money and get the best you can!

Thanks Guys! smile

To throw another monkey wrench into the Marcum/Vexilar discussion I would also suggest checking out the new Hummingbird Flashers and the Lowrance x67c or m68c ice machines. The nice feature about the Lowrance units would be that they could double as your sumer unit too and the m68c is also a GPS. Might as well shop all of them grin That is part of the fun of shopping around is looking at all of your options.

I have a Vexilar FL-8se with a 9/19 transducer. I am extremly happy with it. I fish in NE MN where I may be fishing in 6' of water one day and 100' the next so the 9/19 ducer is a nice feature. If you are going to be fishing in 40' or less the 19 degree ducer would probably be the way to do.

Honestly, no matter what you get you will be hapier having a flasher so in the grander scheme of things it won't matter if you get brand x or y.