• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two of us are heading out for our first ever free-lance SD pheasant hunt in a couple of weeks. My questions:

1. Are there areas to avoid b/c of too many people?

2. Are there areas that are known for their private land access generosity?

3. Are there areas to avoid b/c of the number of resorts/lodges?

4. How can I find a listing of lodging that will allow dogs?

5. Will someone provide me with GPS coordinates of at least 6 roosters? J/K

I'm not trying to hear of your 'spots' rather I am hoping to eliminate wasted time by tapping into the knowledge of those that have gone through this. Thanks in advance.

Ditch

1. I don't think there will be too many people really anywhere. This late in the season you should be fine finding public land to hunt.

2. Not that I know of. Around Aberdeen, you basically need a checkbook to get access to any land, unless you are a close friend or relative. Maybe have better luck in some lower populated areas.

3. I don't really think there are any areas to avoid. I guess I am not really sure what you are asking.

4. A lot of hotels in SD allow you to have dogs, there probably is some sort of resource that would tell you which ones, but I don't know what that is, I think only a couple of phone calls would be all it would take.

5. I doubt you will have trouble finding birds.

Good Luck!

I stayed at the Galley Hotel in Webster. For $10 you had a indoor box with an outdoor run for the kennel for as long as you stayed. It was nice to have a dry place for the dogs at night.

Get the SD atlas the DNR puts out and it has all the public areas and walk in area marked. In the eastern part of the state there are a lot. If you get out towards Aberdeen it drops off fast. I've never hunted west of the river so I can't give opinions on that area.

Hopefully most of the corn is down. I had a horrible opener out there - no birds and rough weather. The town was empty because everyone else had read the right info.

We have relatives in Kimble just east of Chamberline on the east side of the river. The west side has many acres owned by large lodges and ditch hunting near them is more of a hassle. The east side has few lodges and just as many pheasants.

You should have no trouble getting your three each day if you hunt some ditches filled with cattails next to picked corn. Our relative has trained springers who are dropped off at the corner and told to sit and stay. The owner drives to the other end of the ditch and calls the flushers to him. It's amazing how many times the birds flush right over the top of his van for easy pass shooting.(outside the van of coarse)

The Missouri breaks is some of the most beautiful pheasant country in the whole world. Crossing the bridge on 80 and cresting the hill the great plains stretch on for as far as the eye can see. No where else do I feel as if I am on top of a spinning globe. The sense of the earths movement is palpable there like no where else. Hans