• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building new stand - - - important features (input wanted)

So I am planning to build a new stand next year. Probably close to the 16' tall legal limit. Here are some of my 'wants':

- plexiglass windows that slide in a channel to block wind

- a small deck/landing to stand on before entering stand from ladder

- plenty of windows for a large view.

Any other ideas or must haves for a good deer stand?

I bet a lot of hunters are reevaluating after this years windy season, we were sure spoiled temperature wise the past 5-6 seasons, although I prefer like this year, made getting into and out of my stands much easier than bumping the deer on calm warmer than usual rifle seasons. Sounds like you'll need lots of screws and nails and some treated 10 inch telephone poles for the legs.

Those little dish type mics installed 50-100 yards out from the stand on all four sides like they use at football games, connected to speakers in the shooting house so you can hear the deer coming well ahead of time. They can be further out if you'll be heating it to allow for wake up time. You could also use cameras..

I'm just teasing, I got nothing against a deluxe stand, debating on building one myself, just don't know of any spots I'm willing to sit long enough to justify it. Okay at least sort of justify it.

I'm on the same page though, building a small castle to stay in all day. I like the directional dish idea, how 'bout add some sort of sound system so you could blast out calls, get a CD or something with all different buck/doe calls and loop it over and over, add in a rattle or two also

Check out the brackets from ShadowhunterLLC called Elevators.

Sounds like they are exactly what you are looking for.

I have heard of guy's putting a PVC pipe from your stand down into the ground aways. It has a removable cap on top so you can releave yourself and cap it off with out any scent issues.

We have put up 2 stands with just plywood walls and open tops so far using these brackets. They are rock solid! We are planning on several more "Elevator" stands in 2009.

Good Luck,

Ferny

Check out the brackets from ShadowhunterLLC called Elevators.

Sounds like they are exactly what you are looking for.

I have heard of guy's putting a PVC pipe from your stand down into the ground aways. It has a removable cap on top so you can releave yourself and cap it off with out any scent issues.

We have put up 2 stands with just plywood walls and open tops so far using these brackets. They are rock solid! We are planning on several more "Elevator" stands in 2009.

Good Luck,

Ferny

Those Elevators are pretty cool. If nothing else the video on the HSOforum is very informative to anyone who is thinking about building that kind of stand.

This was my first year in a stand and it was pretty cold. I thought of building it up. I did pick up a blind chair that would fit up in it. So I think I'll just use that with a buddy heater and be good for the whole day next year.

Was 5 above one morning at the shack. When I was 20 we would all laugh at the cold. Now 4o years later I am wiser I hope and not afraid to admit I froze my a-s off on stand that morning. For those of you who don't like heaters, leave them off in your trucks this winter.

Clothes today are available that will keep you warm enough. Especially u southern mn guys. If I hunted down there I'd wear nikes and an orange t-shirt. My dad is almost 60 and he hunts everyday of season without a heater. I like being able to hear a deer not a heater.

I've had frost bite from sitting in a stand or layout goose blind in subzero temps for ten hours at a time. Guess what if some on offers me a heated shack or pit i'm jumping in. I bet you don't use a heater ice fishing cause that would make you less of a man also. JK...

To each his own... I like the idea of having a nice stand to be able to take the youngsters out. Took my 3 year old out with me this year for about 2 hours. He never would have lasted(I never would have brought him anyway) with the wind we had this year without a nice stand to keep him warm.

Clothes today are available that will keep you warm enough. Especially u southern mn guys. If I hunted down there I'd wear nikes and an orange t-shirt. My dad is almost 60 and he hunts everyday of season without a heater. I like being able to hear a deer not a heater.
My heater is a small woodstove. It pops or crackles once in awhile but it sounds good to me. To tell you the truth, an occasional cat nap suits me just fine too.

The naysayers about the heaters are the ones who've never used one.

Ive done both, and being comfortable makes the experience a whole lot better. Call me soft, whatever. Comfortably warm. I dont have any problems hearing over a heater. A Mr Buddy hardly makes any noise.

I've had frost bite from sitting in a stand or layout goose blind in subzero temps for ten hours at a time. Guess what if some on offers me a heated shack or pit i'm jumping in. I bet you don't use a heater ice fishing cause that would make you less of a man also. JK...