• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MarCum LX-5 vs. Vexliar FL-20

&JAG

Not sure if its an issue of which is better.. Its kind of the old Ford Vs Chevy debate.. I myself love my LX-5, for these reasons.. Dual beam tranceducer, Super Fine line, movable zoom, 2000 W power(now 2500 on the new units)..

You will hear a lot of people that love the Vexilar units.. and I will not argue with them, they too are awesome units.. The lx-5 is the best unit I have ever used, hands down.

You will catch fish with both units no doubt.

But like Tim Allen, it’s hard not to like “More Power” smile

More power=Better Signal

If you get a chance, check out the High Power Challenges that are going on this winter at various locations. It would be a good chance to get any of your questions answered and to see real head to head tests of various units.

Is it true you can pick the Walleyes off the bottom a lot better with the LX-5? I fish the eyes about 80% of the time and still noticed a gap between bottom and my jig (about 3-4 inches) with the FL-20...

I've used both and have caught fish with both. I guess you have to try them to decide what's best for you. I'd like to see the same High Power Test in two years with the same units and transducers from all brands. smile I've taken the test and the FL-20 gets my vote and I'm sure there are others that will vote the other way. The debate is old and tiring, but it does mean the ice season is on it's way!

The LX5 is less prone to distortion readout. First is that since the transducer isn't floating, you don't get the change in readings when the water rise and fall. Not that it happens much, but it annoys me, when I'm thinking fish is rising only to see water level changes. Second, you have to understand the sonar principals. Just because you mark a fish lower than your jig, that doesn't necessarily mean it's below your jig. It may in fact be level with it, only further away to the side.

The super fine line feature, reduces display to a small signal readout, so when you get a signal like a rising bottom it a high chance it's a fish and not just distortion.

Quote:
If you get a chance, check out the High Power Challenges

That or check out some of the Get Together’s from Ice Leaders and HSO this winter. People are always willing to show you the cool stuff they have. Myself included grin

That’s what got me to buy an LX-5 wink

Quote:
I fish the eyes about 80% of the time and still noticed a gap between bottom and my jig (about 3-4 inches) with the FL-20...

When I am on a flat bottom I can tell when I lift my lure up off the bottom instantly. I will use my narrow beam when I am on a sharp drop off but there will be times when the break is so sharp even that will not help and if you want to see your lure you will have to raise it up until it shows up on your flasher. I love using the Super Fine Line on my LX5 and the power is great when chasing Lakers in deeper water.

My vote goes to the FL20. The flat screen and the night viewing mode as well as Vexilar's reputation for durability and reliability are my primary reasons.

Had an Marcum LX-3tc, had technical issues (sensitivity & IR) so I sold it after having Marcum replace the transducer and servicing the head unit. Went back to my FL-18 & purchased a FL-20.

Here are some sonar undisputed facts:

1.) The Vexilar FL20 receiver has more then twice the distortion of a MarCum LX5/LX3 receiver.

2.) The Vexilar Fl20 receiver is more than twice as noisy as that of a MarCum LX5/LX3.

3.) The Vexilar FL20 has half the receiver gain than that of the MarCum LX5/LX3.

4.) The MarCum LX3/LX5 beats the Vexilar FL20/FL12/FL18 in every sonar measurement.... EVERY SINGLE ONE.

5.) MarCum’s transducer is more efficient and more sensitive. A MarCum transducer will output a higher pulse level (dB re 1uPa) than a vexilar. A transducer’s output is not measured in watts, it’s measured in dB re 1uPa. A sonar’s transmitter output is measured in watts…this is a measurement of the energy that goes into the transducer. Remember watts in and dB re 1uPa out. MarCum’s transducers have been tested and certified at power levels exceeding 5000 watts peak to peak input.

Duane Cummings

Chief SONAR Engineer

MarCum Technologies Inc.

I've used a bunch of different flashers and I really don't have any complaints about any of them, but I use an LX-5 myself and have an LX-3 for my kid (but I might be upgrading him to an LX-5 this year so we both have the narrow beam transducer and the super fine line display).

See The LX-5 Here

FL-20 here. I love the additional features such as night viewing, low power, and the flat screen. The screen design is MUCH easier to view than ANY other flasher out on the market. I haven't sold either units in over half a year, so I'm a little rusty on the specs, but I do that one trip up to lake of the woods we had everything from an OLD FL-8, FL-18, and an FL-20 up there with an LX-5, and the only difference we noticed was that the Marcum put off a ton of interference for us.

As far as the rising/lowering of the water goes, just don't use the float? Either wrap the cord around the unit, or use one of the several pinch things (you pinch the cord between two plastic pieces, no idea what the technical term is lol) to set your desired depth.

LX-5 here.

Can anyone tell me if Vexilar has the adjustable water column? I switched over to a Marcum about 3 years ago and have not regretted is since. Although I will say I had zero problems with my Vexilar FL-18. Like someone said earlier, it's kinda like Ford vs. Chevy [Go Toyota! smile ].

I really like the adjustable water column on my LX-5 for those suspended papermouths!

Good luck.

It all depends on preference!!

Some will say vexilar is better than marcum or marcum is better then vexilar...

Just try one of each out before you buy it. Like go to the ice fishing show and I'm sure they'll have some there and try them out for yourself..

Kauf

The adjustable zoom is an awesome feature.. I use it all the time especially when I'm chasing suspeneded crappies or Lake Trout... My choice is an easy one--LX-5... The quality and power is top notch... Even with 30" of cloudy ice I can still put a little water on the ice and set the transducer on it making a seal and see what depth I'm in.... The folks at MarCum have there stuff together and the customer service is A+...

Hope this helps,

Beef