• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gas prices!!!! My trips last year literally cost me double

ZEEK1223

I always budget for a few tips a year. Last year fuel costs were on the top of my budget list. Im wondering: did anyone sacrifice an annual trip due to gas prices? I myself managed all my annual trips, but really took a hit on the fuel prices. For example we used to eat like kings on the road, but replaced our diet with pre-made sloppy joes....ect.... I remember going up north hunting or fishing to be a nice cheap little get away. The drop in gas prices couldnt have come at a better time for us hunting/fishing mnsotans........

Quote:
Im wondering: did anyone sacrifice an annual trip due to gas prices?

Ya, pretty much from the mid-late Aug. threw late fall going down to Pool 2 and the MN river from Princeton crazy.

This year aprox. total fuel costs (boat and truck) for me was around $1200.00-$1300.00. Other years it wouild hold steady around $600-$800 and I would fish more (Aug. to late fall).

It would be nice to hold these fuel prices into next summer or until I win the lotto grin

We took our annual trip to Canada but changed some things to the budget.

In our case, we have usually tried to keep it to two persons per boat. We bring our own. This year to offset the expected increase in fuel costs we changed our plans to have three persons per boat. This reduced the number of rigs driving up plus the number of boats in the water. Our trip actually cost us a little less than the previous year.

Now we are exploring other cost cutting measures like more artificial bait for example.

Bob

I actually fished a little more this past summer, I know I made a point of staying longer on the water. I don't want to think what I spent in gas but it is gone now and I am not going to get it back. Would be nice if the price of gas stays down for next season. Now if I can save some money on my heating oil this winter things will even out..

Ya, Im pumped to see the price right now. I am get to go up to the 'woods and leech again. I just stayed in town for the weekend trips, but now its almost affordable to get up there again.

The trips to the B-dub and canada this summer was a little expensive. Had to save up and we loaded 6 guys and all the gear into a suburban for the canada trip. It was cramped, but made the trip possible. Luckily we got the same rates as last year ahead of time to make the fees at the resort cheap.

Might as well get while the gettin is good, we might not see this for very long.

I cut out all my long distance driving trips...but anyway, I see the race car wannabee's are out again. LOL's

And I see more dented vehicles too. Now if I can just avoid getting my parked car dents and dings, I would be content. It's amazing, how many more door dents and bumber smears I've received this year.

I filled the sub the other day at 1.65.9. Six years ago this coming February when I put the first tank in it, the price was 1.66.9. Our round trip to Wisconsin Dells this summer cost $300.

We took more trips within an hour than normal trips to Bemidji, Itasca and the north shore.