• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jason mitchell or thornebros ice rods

793bob

Originally Posted By: drewski
TB has awesome rods. I just got a power noodle and I plan on using it in the next day or so. Can't wait!

Let us know what you think of this rod. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on one.

I bought 2 last yr.......AWSOME..... Its one of those rods that you just have to have in the collection. I didnt believe that until I bought one.

I'll take a Thorne rod any day over ANY other rod on the market. They may cost more but you get so much for the extra money. Superior quality, the guides all line up straight, top notch parts and locally built by local people. If you ever have a problem (not likely) or question you can call or stop by and actually talk to the person that built it. They are sponsors of this site as well.

I can,I broke a perch sweetheart last year,they replaced it on the spot.As stated above,they are a little pricey but well worth the coin.I usually get a new rod and reel each season so the price isnt that big of an issue,I suppose it would be if I was buying 4 or 5 combos a year though.

Tom, I wish I had your connection. wink I've got a broken meatstick leaning against my desk right now. It was probably my fault (I thought I was careful enough but must not have been, but it is the only ice rod I have EVER broken) but it would cost me more to replace it thru JM than to go get a new one. Go figure.

Just picked up my 3rd TB rod this weekend. i got a 28" deadstick and really like the way it is made. I dont care for spring bobbers and i have trouble deadsticking with other rods. I see with the new TB what i have been missing. If money is not an issue for one rod, TB is the way to go. If you are worried about the cost (20% off right now) then buy one of the inferior ones instead.

mnfishingguy

I know a few people that have gotten their rod replacded. Did you contact Jason Mitchell rods? Jason usually answers the phone himself.

I have no connection at all, I just made a simple phone call that took a few minute. pretty easy really.

No, I didn't call them. I read the warrenty information on the card and on the HSOforum, found out it was going to cost me more than what I paid for the rod in the first place and figured that was it. The information was very clear and I just figured it was a buisiness decision to handle it that way so I left it at that. I don't know, I guess for me if I have to take the time out of my day and call and explain the situation it's not worth it.

Thats all many had to do was make one phone call for a free replacement. I guess if you didn't want it replaced, then that was your choice.

A few posted last winter they broke their meatstick and stated that they called Jason and he said they would send one out right away with no fee.

A few minutes worth of phone call and thats about as easy as it gets. I'm not saying you will get it replaced but it would be very little work to try.

NO one can fix the warranty on this forum as you will need to contact jason Mitchell rods to have it taken care of.

Throne Bros. hands down you pay for what you get...

That's the bottom-line. I will say that its the quality components and craftsmanship that go into the rod that separate a lot of the rod companies.

While Jason does indeed make a nice rod for the money, he doesn't use the same quality graphite and components as what you'll find in a Thorne Bros rod. The facts are the facts. Does that mean you won't catch fish with a JM rod? Definitely not, you use top-quality rods. Everything from hook-set, to fighting the fish, to even having the rod hold up... quality parts will maximize the rods performance.

For those of you who spend a lot of time on the water you can relate... put a middle-of-the-line rod in your hand and fish it... then put a top-shelf rod in your hand and tell me if you notice a difference... I'm fairly certain you'll be holding the top-shelf rod at the end of the day...

Thorne Bros' customer service always favors the customer... period. If you break one of our rods please call me and it will be taken care of and you'll be back on the ice without any run-around, and that goes whether you're near the store or ten states away smile

Yes, Thorne Bros does offer a great rod and Jason's line of rods are also very good. I have fished with both and they both served me very well. As far as the warranty, I can say that Jason has taken care of me more than anyone else ever has. Jason does stand behind every rod he sells.

Not sure if this is the wrong impression or not, but for ice fishing people seem to be more cost conscious when it comes to rods/reels. Compared to open water (often the same people) - very common for them (not all of cource) to drop $200+ per combo without batting an eye.

I see guys buying ice combo's with $30+ reels and $30+ rods, but these same guys for open water are buying $150+ reels and $150+ rods.

Not sure why this seems to be, but I find myself doing this same thing. Don't mean to take this off topic, but thought it might apply to this thread.

Now that I am set for most ice fishing rod situation, I think any future replacements with be a TB rod.

I think it is also that much easier to be careless and break an ice rod as opposed to a full length rod. For hardwater one is also lugging around heater, propane tank, shelter, bucket, auger, and at anytime slipping on the ice and oops landing on a rod is all about breaking it. People don't always have such loose heavy things in the boat, except for the cooler. LOL's

Thats why you get a nice carrying case for your ice rods.When I spend 100-120$ on a rod reel combo for Ice,I keep aware of what im doing with it.Ive broke just as many open water rigs as Ice rigs,stepping on them,closing lids on them etc..

You will also find yourselves taking better care of your ice fishing rods when you start buying high end stuff smile Everything gets put in a rod case and you also start restraining yourself from throwing them around smile

Jason Mitchell is a top-notch guy and I'm sure he'll also stand behind his rods if something does happen.

Thorne Bros sells several thousand ice rods a year, and the percentage of broken rods due to defect is less than 1-percent. Many of my Thorne Bros rods are over 5-years old (some even close to 10) and have seen countless hours of use. I have yet to break a Thorne Bros rod.

But like I said, if a problem does arrive with a Thorne Bros rod, you can call me and I'll personally talk with you myself without the wait or hassle and your situation will be resolved. If I'm not there you can e-mail me and I will answer you ASAP... just put attn:Matt Johnson at the e-mail address [email protected].

Ice is here! smile