• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

skunks

Thanks Brownie, I will say that trap location can play a part in the amount of skunks you catch. I've been told and have expierenced that if you place your trap in the dead furrows along a plowed field you will increase your skunk catch. I've also noticed if you use a lound stinky lure, you will get more skunk action. Sometimes it's just going to happen. Mr. Stinky and his buddies are going to do you dirty. If you catch a skunk or two, then you have a great place for a remake set and the fox love those sets. So think of it as cleaning out the skunks and then getting after the fox. Hope this helps, good luck.

Leech

I see to get less if i set farther from cover. In stead on right on the edge of the fence line go out 10yds. They claim the coyotes travel farther out from cover and use there nose to see if there is anything in it they are looking for. I got a skunk this year on plain coyote gland lure and coyote urine. Was a baited dirthole little ways away, thought that was odd.

From my past experiences in over 20 years running traplines, that isn't gonna happen! No matter what type of set you use for canines, eventually you are gonna get a skunk, or a possum.

Any freshly dug dirt, any type of smell that could lead to a bite to eat, anything out of place, eventually one of the above will find it if a canine, coon, or feral cat doesn't find it first.

Kinda like trying to kill a skunk without it spraying, that doesn't happen......not unless you get into spending the time to inject em with a needle and some poison, that probably isn't gonna work all the time either. Got to learn to embrace em as a neccessary evil if ya wanna be a canine trapper.

Jim...usually you can get a fairly accurate idea as to what fur prices are doing, from FFG (Fur Fish Game) magazine. Then work from that.

I quit selling to local buyers about 5-6 years before I gave up the trapline. I got tired of the grading system that never seemed to give the trapper a fair shake. We sent our stuff to the Canadian auction. The last season I trapped in ernest, my nephew and I, we sent something like 125 or 150 fox and other furs to the auction and in the spring, we sent 120 put up beaver. We always done better doing it that way, but you had to have enough fur to make it worth the effort.

Post Script...You weren't by chance fishing Pulaski on Wed., were you? we were out in Buffalo to look at a boat and I had to come by the turn around on the east side and I seen a boat out there so I took a run down to the ramp and there were like 3-4 vehicles with trailers sitting there.

We live in Brooklyn Center and the other morning when it snowed, I looked out the window and low and behold, a skunk had come from across the street, up our driveway, hopped up and walked across the top of our low retaining wall, under the drain pipe and on into our neighbors yard.

We don't live far from the river, so it isn't surprising. Had a whole family of raccoon walk across the top of the privacy fence, one moon lit night...that was pretty cool, mama and cubs. Could see em perfectly, looked like shadows.

Had a turkey across the street a couple of years ago, my wife says, "Wow, look at the size of this pheasant!" The turkey seen it's reflection in the glass door and stood there about 10 minutes looking at itself. Fox, deer, possum, raptors of all kinds, 1st ring surburban wildlife...it's okay with me!

Find out where they are comming out and/or going in and on a warm night, well after they have left on their travels to find food, plug up the entrances so they can't get back in. People do that with bats and raccoons, I don't see why it wouldn't work on the skunks?

If you don't think you got rid of the troop, like if one of em is screaming for help and clawing at the floor, opent the hole back up and reach in there to lend a helping hand....just kidding! laugh

Maybe you didn't use the right kind of bait in the live traps? Something strong and lasting ought to get the job done, skunks just don't turn down food, even in the live traps. Bacon, bacon grease...maybe put a little anise extracton on a stick and throw it into the cage along with the bait.....a rotten egg would really get em panting, but that stuffs for the birds!

The bait was fine, I just tossed in a few hors d'oeuvre cheese leftovers and they picked it clean both nights. I think the trap door fell down on their rearend or tail and they were able to back out of it before it latched. Need a bigger one I guess.

We've tried sealing the MANY entrances/exits to beneath the cabin (pretty primitive place grin) but they just keep digging it back out. I hear them scratching under there at night and catch them in the coolers outside during early hour leaks.

I'll try a larger live trap and maybe some ammonia. Is a cup full prone to freezing? Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

Musta been one of your rigs in the lot, or on the street. As avid as I have always been about ice fishing, I just can't seem to get into it yet?

Vex and aquaview are charged and ready, wheeler is tuned and sittin on the trailer in the garage, all the gear has been gone over, portable dug out, now I just have to get the fire lit under me?