• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

7x7 MN elk

yep front page of last weeks outdoor news...heres what it says....Kevin Kahle of winstead harvested this 7x7 bull elk near Grygla on sept.13 the antlers green scored 308 1/8 net.congrats to this man its a monster ill see if i can find a pic on the internet

Very cool.

I called this bull in the week before he was shot with my wife and daughter. We went on a camping trip just to watch some elk. Darkness was falling, and I thought at the time it was a 6 x 7, but there is no mistaking those lovely ivory tips and dark main beams. He definatly was the herd bull and he ment business.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...Min#Post1518925

I got drawn last year. Only 6 tags were issued that year and they were all cow tags. I had a 7 x 7 bull, sixty yards broadside. Wish I had a bull tag at that moment. Fifteen minutes later I shot my cow. It was an awesome hunt that I got to share with my dad. I encourage all to apply.

Probably about a 50/50 mix in the Grygla area. When I had my bull tag in 2005, they were almost 100 percent on public, about 2.5 miles east of where this bull was taken.

Problem was that it was .5 to 1.5 miles outside the hunt boundary.

I was on private land when I called this bull in, but he came out of public land, and I was backed right up to public land where I was calling.

There is a lot of private land around Grygla and there is public here and there with some big lands of public so I'm guessing the elk travel both. I have seen most of the elk feeding on private that has wood lots nearby, yet to see a bull though.

I haven't checked where the boundaries are so I would trust what Gissert said.

In the area where the elk tend to hang, the mix is about 50/50. The core area is actually pretty small, maybe 6 sections where they spend most of their time.

They can, and do wander quite a bit farther on some occasions.

I was not refused by any landowners. I did my homework, called previous tag holders, and got plat books. I also called the DNR at Thief Lake, and they gave me some excellent advice.

I made a few trips, and introduced myself and expressed my gratitude PRIOR to the hunt.

After the hunt, EVERYONE who granted me permission got a thank you note, even if I never hunted their place.

I was able to make some lasting friends as a result of this.

This was a September bull hunt. Things might be a bit tougher on a late cow hunt with black powder season still in play.

I shot mine in December of last year with the muzzleloader season still happening. I had no problem getting permission for the private land. Just have to talk to the land owners and they are pretty willing to let the elk hunters hunt.