• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Laker Reel

kingkobbla

So I'm getting a Jason Mitchell Mackinaw MH rod for Christmas that I will be using for lakers this winter and I'm wondering what everyone uses for baitcasters on a rod like this. Also what pound test line. Thanks in advance.

I have got three of those rods and you are going to love them. On 2 of them I put the Abu-Garcia C-5500 and the other is a 6500. I spooled them up with 12 pound test. The 5500 seem to be a better feel but I am sure it is because of the weight. The 6500 was my old musky reel converted to laker fishing. Only a month and a half and the season opens laugh

Any Abu Garcia C3 would be a nice reel to add to that rod. If you could find a 4600 that might be a really good set up. You probably won't need a big spool and the smaller reel would make for a lighter/smaller rig making it a little easier to handle.

I just throw my summer bass baitcasters on my rods, they are nice and light. I don't change the 30lb PowerPro, I just add a 10 lb flouro leader. The PP does tend to hold some water, so keep that in mind if fishing out in the conditions, I bring the rigs in to somewhat dry out overnight. When fishing deeper waters 80'+, that PP increases the hookset percentage for me.

I have a 4600 on one and a 5500 on the other. Both balance nicely. I prefer the 4600 simply because it's more compact, and line capacity isn't an issue for ice fishing, even the deeper water in laker country.

I've been using 12 lb mono for the past several years but have switched for this year to 20 lb superbraid with a 12 lb fluorocarbon leader.

I'm with Duffman, and so is my whole bobbin crew. I go a little more strength on the leader though with 12-20lb mono. Connect the line ends with a tiny swivel that fits through your level wind.

~~~~~Bob-bob-bob bob-bobbin man.~~~~

Many of our winter guests show up with an abu 5500 on a variety of different rods. The most popular line seems to be 14lb. fireline.

With the fireline or any superline, you get a great hookset when you are fishing deep water 60-100 ft. Good hookets mean more fish on the ice:)