• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Charging Flasher Battery?

Wavey Davey

Question

I purchased a Marcum LX-1. Never owned a flasher before.

It came with a basic battery charger. There are no instructions for charging the battery or a battery status indicator. My question is how long do I charge the battery for a full charge and is there the possibility of overcharging and harming the battery?

5 answers to this question

Rule of thumb, is charge it for 10- 14 hours.

Most chargers are .5Amp chargers, most batteries are 7 amp batteries. Thus 7/.5=14 hours. Most of the newer chargers are pretty smart chargers, very rearly will a home charger over charge the battery. You'll be ok if you forget to unplug for a couple of days.

If it has a DCS unplug that when you store it or you won't be able to recover the battery with the home charger. It'll drain the battery below the point of recovery. In the past I have used 12v powersupplies to recover a battery but learned from another tech to be careful when doing that for fear of totally frying the battery.

WW

The DCS - ?Digital charge system has a digital read out that draws current from the battery. Too bad that they couldn't just add an on/off switch to it as sell.

Anyway, I always disconnect the battery leads when putting it into storage. I don't want to chance two wires touching onto anything.

I purchased a Marcum LX-1. Never owned a flasher before.

It came with a basic battery charger. There are no instructions for charging the battery or a battery status indicator. My question is how long do I charge the battery for a full charge and is there the possibility of overcharging and harming the battery?

From MarCum if you fish 4 hours charge 2 hours. If you fish 8 hours charge 4 hours. I puchased MarCum's DCS 100 fully automatic charger for my VX-1 for piece of mind, for under $30 its a must have to eliminate the guess work. Reeds has the best price that I have found.