• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Color or not on GPS?

Luck e 1

Question

I am going to take the plunge and get gps system.

I have heard great things about the H2O and H2Oc.

But I am trying to figure out if the extra $70-$80 is worth getting the color system.

From what I have read...the H2Oc tends to use batteries a lot quicker, basically allowing you to only use it for 2-3 hours before it needs to charge.

WHy would a guy spend the extra money to get a unit that you can't use for as long, and is $70-$80 more expensive?

Thanks for the help, guys.

7 answers to this question

They come with a vehicle cord, so you are not wasting batteries in the car. get a couple of sets of rechargable's and then you can always have a fresh set when the others die.

I have an Ifinder hunt, not color, like having a compass built in, constant run time is about 10-12 hours on batteries, color is less, the newer lithium batteries will last longer, haven't tried them though. color is easier to see with the contour map chips, but I have gotten used to the B&W for ice, don't use my handheld much in the summer, unless I am fishing in someone else's boat then I bring it along.

Either unit is a great choice in my book.

WW

What's the intended use? Boat, ice fishing???

If you have a source of 12v power, then I would really advise to go for color. Turning on the two different shades of blue can really help out when you're trolling a contour on a new lake. Looks really nice and it doesn't cost much more.

But if you aren't going to have that power nearby, then maybe the B&W would be better. I get a few hours on a set of batteries and that's it. With the backlight always on, and the refresh rate set to maximum, the color units don't last too long.

I have a black/white H2O, I've had it for years, I got it before color ones were available. I like it and haven't felt the need to change, but with the mapping options available these days you will see more detail much more easily on a color screen. If buying a new unit now I would be hard pressed not to go with color --- do you need color, no, but is it easier to pick things up on the display, yes.

You can check them out including low prices and free shipping at ProFishingSupply Handheld GPS

What about visibility in sunlight? I've occasionally heard that the Lowrance series of handhelds can be more difficult to see in bright sun.

I would think that one could improve this by playing with contrast and brightness controls. I've seen the Garmin GPSMap76 color and it is fine but I haven't seen the H20 or Hunt color outside.

Bob

I have the H2OC and love it. My wife bought it for me, otherwise I don't think I would've gotten the color one. Now that I have it, I love it. I use it for Soft and Hard Water and Hunting. I love the options the color gives you. For instance, I have been using the trail option and marking different colored trails depending on what they are - Walking Trail, Driveable Trail, etc. I love the clarity of the unit. Helps to differentiate different depths ('07 lakemaster chip), WMA, etc. Again, I have never had the H2O, but I have messed around with them. In my opinion, if you have the $$, I would say get the colored unit.

Just my .02

DL