• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas Pump Etiquette

hanson

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta agree with Iron Cowboy as well. Highway time is a drag and left lane is for passing. We don't need self-proclaimed highway patrols slowing a line of traffic in the left lane. If you have no where to go and all the time to get there, stay to the right.

I guess, I wouldn't understand. On second thought you should see the traffic between Roseau and Warroad on Saturday mornings on the way to the lake! laugh I normally only meet about 6-12 vehicles on my 6 mile "commute" to work and less on the way home! Slow and easy boys...(keeps your heart from exploding)!

Originally Posted By: Hammer Handle
just like in traffic, if some tailgates me and I am going over the speed limit and passing cars, I slow down. Why do we have to bend the rules to help the rude?

How are you bending the rules by moving over so someone that likes to go faster can get by?? And how are they being rude?? because they like to travel faster than you? Newsflash duma$$ if someone is on your rear it means speed up or get out of the damm way. Once again its all about you and you only huh, All I can say is your wife is right and you probably just aren't smart enough to listen to her.

Uncalled for!!! shocked If I'm doing 55/60 in a 55 and flowing fine with traffic, I don't feel the need to move over so you can break the law by going 70 or 80. Get a clue, the ones that drive that excessive are the ones that cause accidents. You should never be on someones bumper at those speeds. I believe two car lengths or 2 seconds is proper. You put everyone else on the road at risk by driving like maniacs.

As far as the station goes. If I choose to go in after I fill gas and get milk for my kid, a snack or use the restroom, well that's tough for you. I'm a paying customer as well and have every right to go in and get what I need. Why should I pay at the pump and then move my car and then go in to get what I need and pay again so it's convenient for you? Now that's selfish.

If you chose to break the law...why do I have to abide by your rules?

If I am passing traffic, just because you break the law...I must also?

If you need to get someplace earlier...leave earlier.

It is not about just me...I don't need to break the law to please someone else. It sounds like YOU are only thinking of yourself.

If I am abiding by the law and you break it...I must break it to? Someone needs to go back to driving school....

There is no law or rule that says I must brake, cut someone off and move over...just so you can go flying by over the speed limit. What world do you live it? Are you a king of something?

That is why there is road rage. No consideration for people that are following the laws. The law breakers just can't handle it. It is all about me me me and I am in a hurry. Forget you dude...it is me me me! Break the law with me or get out of the way...or I will drive VERY unsafe to try to scare you of me.

If I am going 70 in a 60...and I pull up on someone passing traffic going 60...I slow down. Big deal. He is doing nothing wrong. If he doesn't pull over when not passing traffic (which I do), I just go around. Why get bent out of shape when he is doing NOTHING wrong. What ever happened to MN nice? Maybe you need to move to another state.

I moved my car at the pump once (my wife was in paying), and a person run out for they thought I was leaving without paying.

I pay at the pump unless I need something in the store...or a bathroom break.

I also play ahead and buy gas when they are less busy. If you buy gas at peak times (like the Friday afternoon before fishing opener), be prepared to wait.

I'm not defending tailgaiters, but people driving slower than the other cars in the left lane are equaly at fault, even if they are going the speed limit.

I was at an event where Roger Loeding the former head of the MN. highway patrol spoke. In his opinion the people who drive slower in the left lane and do not move over for faster trafic to pass them are the most dangerous drivers on the road. Didn't matter to him who was or wasn't speeding, that was something for law enforcement to sort out not self deputized "speed police".

As far as the station goes. If I choose to go in after I fill gas and get milk for my kid, a snack or use the restroom, well that's tough for you. I'm a paying customer as well and have every right to go in and get what I need. Why should I pay at the pump and then move my car and then go in to get what I need and pay again so it's convenient for you? Now that's selfish.

I have absolutely no problem with that either. My entire point was using the gas pump for what it was intended for, pumping gas. If you go inside to use the restroom, buy a couple sodas, lotto tickets, and chips after you've pumped gas... thats fine. Heck, thats why its called a convenience store.

Originally Posted By: airjer
Funny, Its not that busy when you fill up after 10 at night or before 6 in the morning! whistlegrin

You obviously haven't been to the SA behind your shop at 5:45 am, have you grin

No kidding, that one is busy anytime I've been to it.

Quote:
How are you bending the rules by moving over so someone that likes to go faster can get by?? And how are they being rude?? because they like to travel faster than you? Newsflash duma$$ if someone is on your rear it means speed up or get out of the damm way. Once again its all about you and you only huh, All I can say is your wife is right and you probably just aren't smart enough to listen to her.

Newsflash someone tailgating is breaking the law and rude to boot.

3 things here the guy is already going over the speed limit, he may and probably is already in the right hand lane and there some roads where it is only 2 lane. Someone rude enough to ride my bumper under any of those circumstances will either see me slow down or they will get the brake light.

What gets me is when there are gas pumps open and people with little cars pump their gas at the pumps that have diesel nozzels mad Especially when I have a big trailer behind me and can't maneuver very easy to get an at open diesel pump.

I'm not defending tailgaiters, but people driving slower than the other cars in the left lane are equaly at fault, even if they are going the speed limit.

I was at an event where Roger Loeding the former head of the MN. highway patrol spoke. In his opinion the people who drive slower in the left lane and do not move over for faster trafic to pass them are the most dangerous drivers on the road. Didn't matter to him who was or wasn't speeding, that was something for law enforcement to sort out not self deputized "speed police".

Ha Ha I love it. How come were not hearing replys for this post sandman and the other guys that seem to have all of the knowledge--maybe one of you should get ahold of the highway patrol and let them know how they are wrong and if you are going the speed limit tough buddy! have you ever even seen a car go the limit only and no faster on the freeway at rush hour?

By the way ever been to California? out there you NEVER see anyone slower in the left lane because they ENFORCE the law of slower traffic move right(yes it is a law) with a big time fine otherwise no one would be able to get anywhere at all.

Finally someone with real knowledge and facts chimes in and all the "keyboard commandos" go silent.

If anyone drives in Europe or anywhere else, they'd say American drivers lack driving skills, LOL's.

I experience this almost too often, daily. I'm driving on the slow lane, behind a another slow vehicle. There's only one car behind for as far as I can see. What do they do? Drive up the passing lane, put me in their blind spot then proceed to signal to get infront of me, so that they can exit. There's no one behind for as far as I can see...They start nose their way inbetween me and the vehical infront of me. Okay, how rude...It's not that difficult as there's way more than plenty of space that I leave between me and the vehical in front of me, but why do people do this? Especially that after they get infront of me, they decide to do the brake and slow down. There is still no other car behind as far as I can see. Must be the kind of car I'm driving...

Originally Posted By: Pat K

Ha Ha I love it. How come were not hearing replys for this post sandman and the other guys that seem to have all of the knowledge--maybe one of you should get ahold of the highway patrol and let them know how they are wrong and if you are going the speed limit tough buddy! have you ever even seen a car go the limit only and no faster on the freeway at rush hour?

By the way ever been to California? out there you NEVER see anyone slower in the left lane because they ENFORCE the law of slower traffic move right(yes it is a law) with a big time fine otherwise no one would be able to get anywhere at all.

Finally someone with real knowledge and facts chimes in and all the "keyboard commandos" go silent.

What do you want to hear? Do you want me to say the same thing I already said? If you think it's OK to ride on the bumper of another car while you are doing 60+ miles an hour then more power to you. Wait till that car has to hit their breaks. As I said, if I'm going the speed limit or moving with the flow and some moran wants to ride my butt, that's their problem. If they want to go around they can, but I'm not moving into slower traffic for those idiots. And I don't agree with those cops.

Originally Posted By: Iron Cowboy
Originally Posted By: Pat K

What do you want to hear? Do you want me to say the same thing I already said? If you think it's OK to ride on the bumper of another car while you are doing 60+ miles an hour then more power to you. Wait till that car has to hit their breaks. As I said, if I'm going the speed limit or moving with the flow and some moran wants to ride my butt, that's their problem. If they want to go around they can, but I'm not moving into slower traffic for those idiots. And I don't agree with those cops.

It is against the law to intentionally hold up traffic. If you are in the left hand lane passing a car and actually passing a car you are not breaking the law. If you are sitting in the passing lane and driving side by side with another car, you really need to move over to the right hand lane as you are actually holding up traffic.

If only people driving in the fast lane passing everybody up, will only continue to keep their fast driving. I've seen a lot of people drive really fast in the fast lane, then they decide to play pace car with me, and I'm in the slow lane. How annoying is that? Five minutes later there's a follow the leader thing going. Seriously...seriously, I don't understand what people are thinking. Did they just realize that they were speeding and don't want to be the car that is going to get caught for speeding?

Then there are those changing lanes from the fast lane into the slow lane infront of me. If they can change lane any slower or closer you'd think they'd be trying to clip me. What is my problem that I seem to attract these types of horrendous drivers around me? I accellerate fast, but I don't really drive fast. Is that my problem? People read that and think I'm a fast driver?

As I said, if I'm going the speed limit or moving with the flow and some moran wants to ride my butt, that's their problem. If they want to go around they can, but I'm not moving into slower traffic for those idiots. And I don't agree with those cops.

Yep just as I thought, your the kind of guy thats so smart you know more than "the cops" about thier job. Expert on most subjects as is evidence by your post total in such a short time (again see keyboard commando) and i've read a lot of your politics posts....got a lot of knowledge to give out but dont want to listen much, and your not going to start now cause your so smart... Whatever man I guess its not ever going to sink in, still me,me,me and I dont want to totally hijack this thread as it seems to be going that way. All I can say is look at the other reply's that back what i'm saying with a little bit of common sense and research if you want the big metro area traffic laws in the country like I said about California....man if I can get thru to even one of you guys it makes everyones commute a little better.

Been reading this post for some time and I'll throw my 2 cents. I go through city traffic about 15 times a year, going north to fish/hunt. It's simple to me, if you cant drive plus 5 of the speed limit, then get in the right lane. Period. We have all seen it, when traffic is flowin, it's at least plus 5 of the limit and there are no problems. If you look at it, the speeder is at risk of a ticket, let him be. I really think some people don't know that the right lane is typically for slower traffic. With the pump post, I don't see it where I'm at.

It has allways been a pet peeve of mine that people will block the pumps to go inside the store and do their grocery shopping. In the last 20 years it has gotten worse that is the reason I never went to sa or holiday I made it a point to go to a gas station only. In Minnesota the general population is the most rude self centered population ive ever seen and I travel all oer north america. As for the driving down the road goes ALL SLOWER TRAFFIC TO THE RIGHT . If your pulling a trailer get your a** over to the right lane, if your a tractor trailer get into the right lane!

Thats all I have to say folks

It all depends on what the parking situation is. I have an SA by my house with a grand total of 4 parking spots, one of which is handicapped only but have 12 pumps. If I need to stop in and all the parking spaces are taken I will park at a pump, no questions asked. Im not going to drive in circles so its more convienent for you, Im spending money there the same as you.

I would find it hard to beliee that on the entire property including all sides of the building that all they have is 4 spots for parking. In case of aa fire where would the fire engines park? My point is the attitudes om Minnesotans is me first. nothing personal towards you skeeoo25

Some pretty opinioniated people posting here. If there is no spot in the lot to park and I park at a pump it's all about me?

If I am moving with the traffic flow and won't move over it all about me?

People in the left lane going .1 MPH faster than the person they are passing with a wide open lane in front of them yeah I concur they need to get their butts over so that they can be passed. People in the left lane that is full of traffic ahead of them and on both sides there is no need to move over.

I leave for work in enough time that I do not have to go 15 or 20 over the limit to get there in time. If you do... I dont give a rats a$$, that is your problem, and no that is not "all about me" either. Everyones commute wouild be so much faster if folks would learn how to MERGE! If there are cars in front of me, and to the side of me, but there is a quarter mile opening behind me don't expect me to brake so that you can get in front of me. YOU are the one that is Merging not me!

Like Hamer Handle... if ya p me off I can be even slower and wash my windows and check my oil. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo