• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas Pump Etiquette

hanson

At most of our local stations, if you don't pay at the pump you aren't supposed to move the vehicle to go inside and pay. Some places it is even illegal to do that due to ordinances. Why is everyone in such a hurry that they can't wait a few minutes before pumping gas? Slow down and enjoy life, it's not how many experiences you can enjoy, but how you enjoy the experiences. Man there's way too many things to get uptight over.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, happens all the time, especially if the parking spots in front of the station/store are filled up.

I don't do it but I've wondered about it? Hey, wait a minute? Thats a lie, I have done it a time or two myself at empty station/stores. You know, someone could be prepaying, someone could be picking up a few items after pumping their gas, could be a number of things I guess?

If they stop at the station/store to buy a product that the business sells, be it gas, or a gallon of milk, and all the front parking spots are full, yet pump spots are open, what should they do?

Theoretically, I would think the pump spots would be for people buying gas? Thats how it always used to be, but we are in an ever changing envoirment, maybe things are morphing in a different direction at the multiservice stations? Maybe buying any kind of product that the station/store sells entitles one to park in service spots?

Alot of people aren't going to walk any further then they have to, so if there is an open spot in front and a spot at the pumps that are another 10 yards away, they will take the open spot everytime.

I don't know? I think I'm going to pose this question to the Tribs Miss Manners and get her take on it...I'll report back on what she says. wink

I have parked at a pump then gone in. Often times it is when the regular lot is full.

If I do not pay at the pump, or if I need something inside and choose not to pay at the pump, I will leave the truck there to go in. I am a customer too, it might not always be about me, but it is not always about you either.

My guess is that its just plain laziness, it usually happens when the open gas fillup spot is close to the door, they're too lazy to walk another 40 feet from the proper parking lot. Yes you may also be a customer also but the parking spots by the pump are for people buying gas, by parking in the gas fillup spot you're just being rude. No matter what argument you use, its the ME FIRST attitude, to heck with the rest of us.

I hate it most, when you're waiting for someone to pull out so that you have room and then somebody noses their car into in front of you. A few people were yelling at this person, who didn't give a care.

Another one why I wouldn't be going to pumps with one way directions, is that there's always someone who drives in from the wrong way, cuz it's faster than getting in line.

But I've seen somebody just sitting at the pump, talking on the cell phone. Now if they would just move, well I waiting for 15 minutes, went up to ask them to move so that I can pump gas..."Oh I didn't know you needed gas..."

If you park at the pump the cashiers should be looking at you the whole time to see if your gonna drive off. If you are not pumping they are wasting their time on you and not paying as much time as they should watching people who are pumping gas(which could cause drive offs.)

Its a pain for the people working at the gas station and it is a pain in the butt for people who want to pay for gas.

I've yet to see one with their eyes glued to the pumps. Most of them have cameras setup now.

Maybe in the big city. Small towns dont have that. Most are fake anyways.

Another thing that is not good is to park right in front of the window they look out. That blocks the pumps and at least half of the drive offs happen when that happens!!!

I used to sit across the street with binoculas and write plates down when the gas prices were way up there.

This has to be a Metro area thing. A country or small town person doesn't get worked up about having to wait a few minutes for something.

Think about how much time you spend sitting in traffic. If you can handle that without getting all worked up, you should certainly be able to handle waiting a few minutes for a pump to open up. Relax. Life is too short to let yourself get worked up over something as petty as this.

Think about how much time you spend sitting in traffic. If you can handle that without getting all worked up, you should certainly be able to handle waiting a few minutes for a pump to open up.

There are too many getting worked up sitting in traffic too grin

Hahahaha- what a thread.

Ok Im guilty. I do it all the time. Im a paying patron whether buying gas or goods in the store. If you dont like it and dont have the patience to wait you should have got there before me. But since you didnt I guess you be waiting.

I assume most of you are fisherman and sit and wait for hours for a little piece of cork or plastic to go under the water, so that you can real in a fish. Dont let the little things in life bother you. While waiting at da pumps just think about the things or people that really matter in life. Dont worry so much ---- you may live longer

Wow Hanson is getting torched. Heres a vote for you bud! for guys that say dont worry about it they sure seem to be worrying about how you should just wait for them. To me it's common curtosy.... if people are waiting for me to move so they can pump I just pull up after pumping. The guys that dont care are I'll bet the same guys that sit in the left lane on the freeway backing everyone up god forbid they move right or the same guy thats see's a line at the boat landing and decides to buckle everthing down taking his sweet time before pulling away. Not the end of the world but All pet peeves of mine.. the other is when people tell you not to worry ,slow down and enjoy life, it's short. yep it sure is thats why I want to get as much in as possible and every minute I spend waiting for the " its all about me" guy is a minute wasted. you can slow down if you want to but dont tell me how to live. Not too tough to just practice common curtosy and think of others around you a little but you seem to see less and less of it every day...especially inside the "ring of despair" 94 loop of the metro.

Wow Hanson is getting torched. Heres a vote for you bud!

I can take it. If I was worried about the reaction, I wouldn't have asked the question. grin

Just wanted to see what other people thought about this. You didn't used to see it, now you do. Why? Just a part of our fast pace, hustle and bustle, me first life that everyone is living now. I don't know....

I always thought the gas pump was for pumping gas, guess I was wrong.

Although I've never seen this behavior in rural MN (must be a Twin Cities thing.. crazy), I'm not going to lie...it would frustrate me too. There are parking spots all over, and I will park far away if I have to if I don't need fuel.

This world must be changing to "me first", or like my signature says... whistle

Ha ha ha, just happened to me last night.

I was pulling and lining up to an open gas pump, while somebody drives in and zips right in front of me. So I had to go around to the other side as since there was another open pump. As I drive around, I can see the person in the car that cut me talking on a cell phone. Ah no wonder he didn't see me, his hand/cell phone in the face was blocking his view. So while I pumped gas, person was still on cell phone talking. After I pumped gas and began to pull out. Person pulled out, without pumping any gas. What's up with that? Price shopping? LOL's

Hanson, I agree with you 100% It's the younger kids that don't think or care about others. They are the same ones who use handicapped stickers for parking and don't need one. 2springers & Vikingmeatwad you should also be more conciderate, grow up.

That's all.

I don't mean to "torch" anybody, but I really do think this rude behavior happens way more in the urban areas. If you do this stuff in a small town it could be your grandma or best friend you're doing it to, so it just doesn't happen as much.

Knowingly cutting someone off is certainly rude but it happens a lot. When I have to drive in the Metro (3 days per month) it seems like I'm the only one who maintains a safe following distance. People are always zooming in front of me so they can be right on the bumper of the next car ahead. I refuse to get right on the next guy's bumper and people look at me like I'm the rude one!

I got yelled at in Rogers the other day for "taking too long".

I pay at the pump 98% of the time, but had to do some "business" and get a drink...so I went inside.

When I came out, a guy honked and yelled at me to hurry up. What? So, I proceeded to check my oil and wash my windows. Man, did he get mad. I just smiled as I drove away.

I won't let someone like that get me worked up or ruin my day.

Just like in traffic, if some tailgates me and I am going over the speed limit and passing cars, I slow down. Why do we have to bend the rules to help the rude? My wife tells me I will be the victim of road rage and end up dead someday.

Going in to pay and grab a pop isn't that big of a deal. The ones that go in and cruise every aisle for snacks and candy, get all the kids an ice cream cone, finally decide on which lottery ticket to buy and then stroll back out are the ones I have a problem with. Not a whole lot different than the guy that blocks up a boat ramp while strapping or unstrapping, loading coolers, etc...on a busy saturday oblivious to the people waiting to load or unload.

Your wife is right, as I've seen many acts of road rage over the last 20 years of commuting to the jungle. You never know how nuts that tailgater behind you is. But slowing down to [PoorWordUsage] him off is not a good thing to do. If traffic is moving and you slow down, you are just creating a hazard behind you(chain reaction brake lights and then REALLY slow traffic). Tailgating can be cured with some washer fluid grin

As for general parking etiquette, there seems to be no such thing. People are racing thru life and have forgotten how to be considerate.

Just like in traffic, if some tailgates me and I am going over the speed limit and passing cars, I slow down. Why do we have to bend the rules to help the rude? My wife tells me I will be the victim of road rage and end up dead someday.

i do the same if someone is tailgatin...if im doin 60 in a 55 and there right on my @$$ i slow down and set the cruise to 55 or i step on the brake pedal haha how fast some ppl can hit the brakes is amazing smile

just like in traffic, if some tailgates me and I am going over the speed limit and passing cars, I slow down. Why do we have to bend the rules to help the rude?

How are you bending the rules by moving over so someone that likes to go faster can get by?? And how are they being rude?? because they like to travel faster than you? Newsflash duma$$ if someone is on your rear it means speed up or get out of the damm way. Once again its all about you and you only huh, All I can say is your wife is right and you probably just aren't smart enough to listen to her.