• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Buddy mr. heater

Quackaddict9

I know this has been discussed before but anyways-

People who have one, how do you like them? I will be fishing out of a Fish Trap Yukon most of the hardwater season. Is it better than the Mr.Heater original/cooker heaters, less hassle I'm sure. Is it worth the money? Would you get the smaller one or is there a much difference between the big and small? (usually two guys each time out fishing) Looking into one for christmas.

Pros/cons, Your opinions?

Thanks guys, and good luck! Be Safe too! smile

The pro's would be less noise,fumes and it is not hot on the backside so you are less apt to burn your shack.

The con's would be they put out less heat and if there is any wind it will blow out your pilot light.

I will keep my cooker and if I'm making a long trip I will bring both.

I have a small Buddy heater and a Mr Heater/Cooker. I use the buddy in temps down to the mid teens after that the heater/cooker comes out. I know other people that have the larger Buddy Heater and that would keep you warm in about any temp in a Yukon. Mr Heaters are great but you really have to be careful around them.

I have a Big Buddy and love it. I like that you can put it right against the fabric and not have it burn a hole and that also saves room in the house. It is also quiet and have a low oxygen shut off. On long trips I bring the Big Buddy and the cooker just to be on the safe side but it hasn't left the pickup yet.

So if you go with one of these Little/Big Buddy's....what does one need to hook up a larger external tank to store outside in order to safe space? I'm torn between the cooker (I love me some brat's with a frosty cold one) or the Little/Big Buddy.

Quackaddict9: I was in the same position as you last year. I had just started fishing out of a Yukon and trying to figure out the best heating source. I have a cooker and a buddy heater. I used the buddy heater because of the fact you could pretty much move it up against the shelter fabric without burning it. This helped on saving space for my camera, flasher and other stuff.

I found that the buddy heater did have a few cons. First, it really does not take much wind to blow the pilot light out. Also, for me, it didn't warm up my shelter too well in really cold weather. I set mine up by keeping the propane tank outside and running a hose under the shelter...etc. With the regular buddy heater, you just need a hose and filter. I will be purchasing a Big buddy this afternoon (Menards 99.00 bucks) and doing the same. I dont think you will need a filter if you use the right house hook up. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Cliffy

I started with a on-tank sunflower, but looked for an alternative after getting headaches and burning through a set of coveralls. I use a Big Buddy both with the 1 lb tanks or off a 20 lb tank. You need a 5' or 12' hose with the correct hookups (20 lb male on 1 side, and 1 lb male on the other) and the special filter ( both are sold by Mr Heater brand) to use an external heater. Do not skip the filter, as it will keep your Buddy heaters working better and start easier. Apparentely there is an oily residue that gets into the heater from the high pressure propane going through the extension hose. A new filter every 1-2 years avoids gunking up the internal regulator. Airjer had a nice writeup on this last winter.

On a side note JimBuck, I like your tagline, but I think you've got a couple words mixed up in the 1st half. I think you mean: "Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind."

I had a lil buddy and it had a hard time heating an otter cabin when it got really cold. I upgraded to the big buddy and don't anticipate any issues. Like McGurk, I have the hose and filter and an 11lbs tank. The tank was kind of pricey, but saves me the extra weight hauling by hand. I like the buddys because of the decreased chance of burning through fabric. Just my opinion.

Quote:
$40 hose

$100 heater

$50 tank

I already got the hose and tank smile

Thanks guys, I've been using the Mr.Heater cooker the last year with propane outside and a hose attached and it worked fine, I've also used Sunflower heaters before and it got hot sometime! Yes I know these burnt holes you guys are talking about blush

Sounds like the Big Buddy is not too bad of a pick and I'll look into one. These are some good prices some of you listed. Thanks again.

I have a 4X6 Frabil Cub and one of the small buddy heaters. I cannot tell you how many times I have wished I had the big buddy. I also have a tank mounted sunflower which cooks me out of the house. I like the house toasty warm so others might disagree with the small buddy but the next heater I buy will be the big buddy. The small buddy only keeps the house warm to my liking when it is above 25 degrees and if you go in and out of the house it takes a while to catch back up.