• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Women bowhunters!

I'm a female bowhunter. It is my # 1 passion in life, you could say I am obsessed with it. In the fall its nearly the only thing I can think about! I will admit I shot my first deer with a rifle on Saturday. While it was very special for me, it's nothing like getting one with a bow. If only I could bowhunt while at work...life would be perfect!

I'm sorry to say I've not been bit by the hunting bug but ladies, you're not alone here on Fishing Minnesota! I think it'd be great to post some pics and share some hunting stories.

Although I'm getting off topic, I also read several weeks ago about another FM gal who bought a brand new, very nice rifle and had some success with it!! Good job Char! gringrin

emnature - welcome to FM and the womens forum.

I just bought a recurve bow and hope to practice a bunch this winter. And maybe - a big maybe - head out next year.

Do you know of any indoor ranges in the on the south side of town ?

I also just bought my first gun. - A mossberg 500 12g.

I just got a bowtech the rock bow, and i'm completely in love with how well it fits me! i'm only 5'2" so that's usually a feat. I shot my first doe with it 2 weeks after, which was a complete rush/shock considering i had never even shot a bow in my life. i've rifle hunted, slug hunted, but bowhunting has become an obsession for me now! its so ethical and amazing to get so close to the deer. I'm just waiting for that buck of a lifetime to walk by now. Passing up a 130s 8 pointer was hard, but i know i'll see a bigger one before Dec 31st!

Thanks for letting me know there's more of us out there!

And i live near Minneapolis, and the only range i've been to is the one at Elm Creek park in osseo, which is nice but costs $5. but i bought a 4x4 block target so i just shoot into my garage now (don't tell anyone wink )

Wow!! You gals are coming out of the woodwork!

Tami, how in the hairy heck do you do ALL that you do?! I'm impressed! As always..... grincool

Just born to be outdoors I guess - that and a [PoorWordUsage] load of caffiene - laugh

emnature, what got you started? Have you always been into hunting? I've just this past year starting thinking I could grouse hunt without feeling too sappy about it. I don't know if I CAN get past that "poor little cute and fuzzy" attitude. Any advice?

Do you girls know if I need to take a gun safety training class to get a license?

Tami, caffeine runs through my veins too. eek Weren't you getting into turkey hunting too?

oh i've been hunting since i was 8 with my dad and my two cousins. of course, i'm always the only girl. I used to only duck and goose hunt, but i've gun hunted deer since i was 13. it was a little sad to see a deer die, but i've only missed a deer once, so i'm a big fan of making my first shot count and making it an instant kill shot. the deer i missed was with my bow, and i stuck the arrow into an inch wide sapling a foot in front of the buck three weeks ago. talk about frustrating!!!

i wanted to bow hunt because i'm in college and never have time to trophy hunt deer with a gun season being so short, so i figured i'd up my chances with a four month season versus 14 days. so far, i'm 100% impressed!

the only advice i have to get over the "fuzzy animal" killing feeling is to eat one. you'll crave it all the time! that, and never take an unethical shot.

well, it depends if you think its going to get up and run again. then yes, i would shoot again in the vitals to save the meat. if no, then it will usually die within 20 seconds. its pretty fast so maybe just close your eyes.

I've always wondered what people do when that 1st shot wasn't the best hit. I guess that's where I get all freaked out with the whole hunting thing-seeing something suffer makes my blood run cold.

emnature, I like your advice. Ethical hunting is definitely something to advocate.

I think gun hunting is the way to start, turkeys are an excellent target. You have to do your homework and scouting much like bow but you have more leeway with a gun. Nothing like being in the woods on a spring morning watching the woods "come alive". You can do it alone and you are the only one reponsible for your failure or sucess. As far as gun safety classes depends when you were born.

You only NEED gun safety if you were born after 1/1/80.

Lisa, you barely qualify, but you don't need Firearms safety.

FAS certificate is only required to a get a license for big game hunting and turkey hunting.

Small game (squirrels, rabbits, fox, etc) game birds and waterfowl only require the normal license with stamps if necessary.

Tami- there is an indoor range at Schaffer's archery in Burnsville. He's east on Cliff Rd. from 35W just south of the river. Its just past 12th ave on the right.

Also is Cabin Fever in Victoria. Head out 5west. They are on the right.

The Eden Prairie city range is outdoors but it is protected with a roof and sides. Let me know, I'd go shoot with you.