• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ever Use an "Energy Meter"???

S.D. Ice Angular

Hi There!!

Has anyone ever used one of these types of devices??

th_102608304d.jpg OR th_102675357x.jpg

I have not lived in my house since the end of June and I have unplugged (or turned off) everything I can think of. But, the power bill has not gone down any significant amount at all.

I am going to try and find what appliance could be pulling so much power.

I haven't used a power meter since college, but they do work. Some things have a high starting current but then taper off greatly during operation, so be sure you are measuring the power a few seconds after power-on to get the full picture. Of course, if the particular item is cycling power a TON, then starting power might be your main concern, but usually you're interested in steady state power usage.

I'd be interested in hearing what could be drawing tons of power if you aren't even living there. Usual suspects are computers, CRT computer monitors or TVs, plasma TVs, big honkin LCD tvs, and compressors (freezers, refrigerators, air conditioners, air compressors, etc). And of course anything with a high powered motor on it (vacuum cleaner, saws, etc). But I'm sure you have none of those in the house if you aren't living there. Other high draw devices are electric hot water heaters and electric heating devices.

Never have used a meter, but I have heard of couple recent reports regarding this issue. All electrical things draw power even when they are not on. One report said that a Plasma T.V. can use up to $500.00 a year in electricity if it is simply plugged in, not even turned on. That seems outrageous, but who knows. Try unplugging everything and see if that makes a difference in your bill.

I agree with bearslayer. I don't do it, but I've read many articles about keeping items on a surge protector strip and then shutting off the entire strip when ever you're not around or at night. The parasitic losses are amazing. Many items draw electricity so that they are "ready" to turn on when you want them.

Yes they probably work just fine, but they are only made for relatively small appliances. Is your hot water heater electric? If so that is probably a good portion of your bill... You would probably be better off spending your money on a decent clamp-on amp meter. Then you can check each circuit and find where the wasted energy is going.

Also, I am assuming you closely read your electric bill and know what the kWhr usage is? Is the useage staying the same, or just the price?

I dont think every electrical device draws power if its plugged in. A toaster? I doubt that would draw power if not in use.

Tell us what the breakdown of your bill is. Since we moved to the country ours went up a lot from living in town and now we heat our water with propane. When looking at our bill the electrical usage is a small portion of the bill. Our bill runs around 110 and of that I think the electricity is maybe 40 of that. The rest is just to have service, a yard light and other stuff.

I would look at a water heater, do you have a well that may have a leak someplace and be running a lot?

Hope that helps

Is your house fed under ground from the meter? If so, you can check to see if there is a ground fault between meter and your house service entrance. Go into your home and turn off the main breaker in the service entrance panel. If you meter continues to run, then there is a power drain somewhere between the meter and the house. I'm assuming that there are no other circuits fed from the meter of course.

Bob