• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camper Size

Augusta

I am sure this question has been asked before, but I am wondering what size of bumper style camper can I get that my pickup can pull without too much effort. I have a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado, 5.3 liter, 1/2 ton. Any ideas? Thanks

Do you plan to pull it with an SUV, besides your pickup? Because if not, I would recommend talking to someone at a camper store about the pros and cons of the bumper hitch style versus the 5th wheel style campers. I would guess that you'd get more room out of a comparable total length if you went 5th wheel. Plus I've heard they pull better. Plus, if you don't get too long in total you can pull the boat behind a 5th wheel. While it's probably less than ideal to tow that much, you don't even have the option to do it with the bumper hitch style. I'm definitely not an expert, I'm only repeating things that I've heard.

My nephew has a travel trailer that I think is in the 27 to 30 foot range that he tows with a half ton dodge with the 5.9 (non hemi) and says it tows OK. Depending on your gears in the rear end hills may be a struggle, but with trailer brakes setup right you should be OK. Just be totally aware that you won't be able to tow anything behind a travel trailer like you can with a 5th wheel. You also may have to travel light and load up on water etc when you get to your destination.

One word if advice, get something with slide out, makes a huge difference when you are out there for over a week. Gives so much more of a roomy feeling that it is a hard to explain.

Very few 5th wheels out there you can pull with a 1/2 ton truck. The weight on the hitch plus the passengers fuel etc. max out the payload capacity of the truck pretty easily. My experience has been disregard what a trailer salesman tells you and look in your owners manual to see what your maximum weight should be. I pulled a 26 ft. trailer with a 1/2 ton for a short time. Had the right hitch, overload springs all the stuff. Hated it. If I did it again I wouldn't go over a 18-20 footer and I would try and keep my maximum weight (loaded) at least 1500-2000 pounds under capacity. But that's just my opinion.

My trailer pulls around 5,000 with the Sub and I don't have much problem. I recently had to take it to the dealership for a recall repair with the 4.3 Silverado stick and it wasn't the best ride for the old truck. We used to pull a tent camper that ran about 3,000 lbs. with the Silverado and it was a pretty good ride on flat ground.

You need to figure in weight and braking with whatever your tow vehicle is.

Rolling between St. Cloud and Brainerd, I've noticed a lot more mule-type trailer adaptors for guys with heavy loads and lighter towers running up Hwy. 10 to the race track. They ticket over a grand but seem to make sense for what they're asked to do.

I have the same truck and pull a 25' Travel Trailer with it. My camper is rated at 4700 pounds dry, so with the truck loaded, wife and 2 kids, camper full of gear I'm still under my manufacturer tow rating, but not by much. I also use a heavy duty Equlizer hitch. That being said I would not feel comfortable leaving the state. We stick to about a 3 hour max drive from the St. Cloud area, and it pulls OK around here.

I would definetly check your tow rating and wiegh your truck. You'll get a much better idea of how much it will handle, then go lower than your rating.

I guess it depends on were you plan on traveling. Around central Minnesota pulling a 6000 lbs rig could be done according to the manufacturer and the "salesman", but it would be a struggle,safety and wear and tear being the issue. Outstate pulling I would shoot for a camper at about 3500 lbs or less.

IMHO, I would not go any heavier than 5000 lbs, it would be pulling too hard.

I used to pull a 28" travel trailer with my 1/2 ton Hemi dodge but in my opinion it was way too much trailer for that truck. Pulling it is one thing but pulling it safely is another. I now have a 24' fifth wheel that I pull with the same truck. Pulls a lot better but it is still plenty of trailer for that truck.

don't go by length, go by weight. I pull a 29 footer with a tahoe and I barely know its there. I have 4.10 gears which help alot. Mine only goes a little more than 5000 pounds dry, so I figure it's around 6000 pounds loaded. i'm rated for around 7800 or so. Just make sure you stay within the ratings of your tow vehicle and you'll be fine.

You can find most of the specs on trailers, weight dry/loaded and floor plans online. You do a web search for to find the different vendors. One other things is the more luxurious the trailer the more it is gonna weigh. And definitely pay close attention to the tow ratings of tow vehicle.

I have a 2003 F150 FX with the tow package and I purchased a 2001 26ft camper this past August. My camper has a empty tow weight of 4,800lb and this camper really tows nice. I do have the load leveling hitch with the stabalizer bars and this will make all the differance. I do-not have a slide out but I think this is something you should think about when looking at campers, the slide really adds alot to a camper and is really worth considering when looking at campers. You should be able to find quite a few campers around that will tow nice with a half ton vehical.