• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"LINDY RIG" for ice fishing??

marshmallow

I would think that the minnow would give up swimming after certain period of time and just end up laying on the bottom. whe you are in the boat, you are always moving and the minnow drifts along and gives the occasioanl flicker. with it just stationary, it would just lay there waiting for a board sucker to pick it up

If you have your heart set on a slip sinker rig you can always put on a small egg sinker. What you would have is a hook then a knot,bead and then your egg sinker and if the fish takes off it would have less resistance. I would keep the egg sinker as small as possible which I am guessing would be a 1/8 but if you can find smaller just use one big enough to keep your minnow in place.

I've done it. Due to boredom and lack of anymore ideas to get these eyes to bite, I decided, well, what the heck. Well, for some reason it worked. I didn't have any sinkers at the time, so I just used the smallest jig I had to get it down there and cut the hook off. For some reason, they wanted that minnow swimming a few inches off the bottom and not bouncing off the bottom. I hooked the minnow just barely by the lips and they swam long enough to get eaten. So, that was once for a limit, never tried after that.....But yeah, it'd prolly be more effective on river systems. We call them "Wolf River Rigs" over here, same idea, just slightly different setup.

grits, you are definately correct. I could have simply accomplished my task by using that, but I made with what I had at the time. Definately using a horizontal jig presentation under an Ice buster would have been much simpler by all means. Glad I recently stocked up since then. smile

I don't think of a lindy rig as a vertical presentation that you would use through the ice. A dropshot rig seems to me like a better choice. If you wanted a minnow to have some mobility you could use a short leader off the main line or some similar modification to the dropshot rig .... not the same as a lindy rig, but seems to me like it'd be a better presentation through the ice. Good luck with it.

I haven't used a lindy rig in the method you guys are describing, the typical summer set up. but I have had good success in cloudy water such as LOW using a spinner rig in place of a leader on tip-up/ set lines. when the minnow moves so does the spinner, added vibration, smaller spinners like a number 4 colorado seem to work the best

I've use a shortened "lindy' set up with great success. I use a #8 red circle hook and a 1/8 to a 1/4 oz split-shot about 18 inches above the hook. Get yourself a nice lively minnow (fathead usually) and fire the whole kit down the hole. The minnow will wander around at or near the bottom for quite a while. More than a few Walters have fallen victim to this presentation.

I might not suggest using this in a well populated shack with multiple lines down. The 'mess' potential is huge!

seems like it would work. Small slip sinker and then a floating jig head to help keep your minnow off the bottom.

Might be a good option for a tip up set out aways, that way you won't get fouled lines.

Hmmm, might be worth a shot. Everything seems crazy at first until it works a couple of times.

Here is a crazy idea just run a line down the like with a chainsaw and drag your rig behind the fourwheeler. LOL JK. I think that a lindy rig has some potential in the winter. Sometimes it is the crazy stuff that works.

Here is a crazy idea just run a line down the like with a chainsaw and drag your rig behind the fourwheeler. LOL JK. I think that a lindy rig has some potential in the winter. Sometimes it is the crazy stuff that works.

You may think that sounds crazy but when my Dad first started jigging with Swedish Pimples in the 60s he cut a bunch of hole in a row and chiseled out the rest and had about a 12' long hole when he was done. Sounds good in theory but it did not catch anymore fish.