• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3B recap so far

Let me start out with My hopes were very high, I got a nice buck last year and KNEW I would see doe's Saturday morning, I did, but they crossed to my severe right at 30 yards, were spooked before they even got to me and they hotfooted it outta there. Went to my new land access, walked up the ridge, 30 yards from the stand, I see deer walking the field edge across the Draw from me. Maybe 60 yards away, but lots of thick brush. It was only 1:15 so slowly went up to the stand and sat down with even higher hopes that something GREAT was gonna happen. NADA......

I get out to the stand this morning, about 7:15 I catch movement in a field on the wrong side of the fence. No biggie, the deer cross the fence in an area that allow to get a good shot at them. Well, it's not moving, it's not moving, and it finally moves, or should I say MOO......like I said, I only caught the movement out of the corner of my eye, would have been a long time field dressing 800 pounds of cow.

I am heading back down for thursday and friday, but I really feel like someone kicked me in the gut this weekend.

on a side note, I was entertained both mornings with multiple games of squirrel tag being played.

I spent a lot of time in stands, not a lot of room to wander on either property and I hunt alone, so deer drives are impossible.

Im in the same situation.

Every deer I saw this weekend was either out of range or on the adjacent property which I dont have permission to hunt. Today I got excited when heard something moving through the brush toward me. I get ready to take aim for when it comes into view, then I am let down only to see another hunter and his dog come through. Grrrr.

I have come to the realization that I may not (probably wont) get a deer this year. I also hunt alone so a drive is impossible for me too. Im almost considering going to a WMA only because i know there will be other hunters and the deer may be moving more. Now its back to work thru Wednesday then I have 4 full days to wrap it up. Im not going to be picky either, Im after freezer fod, so "if its brown its down"

Where are you hunting picksbigwagon?

Thats a ways south. What about a 3 hour drive?

My wife just gives me the "well, did ya get anything?" look.

Fortunately I hunt a bit closer so I can scoot down there on a whim. Ill try to get into my blind every evening after work this week.

Not a very productive 3B. I was the same as you Picks, thought it was going to be nothing short of fantastic, but it was a serious letdown. Saw some deer, but definitely not a lot. Saw way more during 3A bow hunting. Might have to make the switch if I can't seem to get anything for the freezer. The whole idea about 3B is to shoot deer, can't do that when they are holed up in deer Sanctuarys.

We ended up 2 for 3 and we saw a lot more. Hunters were way down again this year at least in the land around us. We are heading down this weekend to see if we can get the third tag filled. I forgot the camera so I didn't get any pics except for with my phone and those didn't turn out very good. I will take some tonight when we are cleaning them but unfortunatly I won't have any field pics.

Luck? Man I blew my luck last friday during school. The kids were playing a tag game on scooters, and when the person it got out, they had to bring the rubber frog to me. I would throw the rubber frog out into the gym area and they would continue playing. Anyway, I started aiming for the hoops across the gym, made probably 5 or 6 during the day (roughly 50 feet away from the hoop) including one that I threw backwards over my head and banked in the hoop from 35 feet. Needless to say I am not throwing anything around the gym this week. My luck has to change or I am heading back to IA next year and hunting with friends down there.

I'm happier in the picture then how I look but the rest of the pics had a little too much blood and didn't want to post those. It was a team effort with my bro inlaw and myself. He hit it first and made a poor shot so after a long track following turned leaves and little blood he jumped about 45 yards in front of me and dropped in his tracks when I shot. He was a 9 and almost a 10 point with a 18inch spread. Also, when we skun him we found at least 20 beebes under the hide and in the meat that looked like they were from last year. I wish some people would play in traffic. We also found half of a arrow and a muzzy broad head in the other buck that looked to be from last year also.

deergun.jpg

Our group did pretty decent over the weekend. Group of 11 hunters and we ended up with 9 deer down. Only three bucks--one wide eight pointer and a solid 10. Was kind of disappointed that we didn't see more bucks moving but had a blast thinning the herd. Overall, it was pretty much what we were expecting and have experienced over the years.

3B has been pretty slow for us around spring valley. There are 6 of us hunting and we got 3 does opening weekend. Saw a few more but not as many as last year. Still have a few more days to hunt so were hoping to get a couple more. There is still quite a bit of corn in around the land we hunt

we had a pretty slow hunt. We ended up 3 for 6, when we are usally letting deer go becuase we see so many. I think its becuase of all the crop that was around the area, but not really sure. Here is a buck that my dad shot opening morning, it was a 8 pointer, with a 23 inch spread, and the G2 were 9 inches long.

Nice looking deer!

dadmonsterdeer.jpg

hunting around carver co. and saw 10 does on Sat. and have been blanked since then. Zero deer movment around here. The deer we saw were pushed from another woods we believe. We need some weather, looks like i may need the smoke pole yet this year.

We hunt just north of Plainview and did well to date. 4 for 6 with two 8 pointers. Will be returning tomorrow for the rest of the week. I wasn't expecting to see much given the side of the valley we hunt generally doesn't do well with the wind from the south. Hopefully the wind will be out of the west tomorrow.

I'm heading down on friday for another go at it, anyone else? It should be a good weekend with the shotgun hunters and the smoke pole hunters pushing deer so hopefully I can get a shot at the big guy that has been hanging around my stand.

I am heading down with my group Friday afternoon for the muzzleloader opener. We will be shooting does on this trip. We only shoot bucks that would score over 130 at this point. No small bucks for our group otherwise we get a $150 fine. I am getting excited to get my first deer of the year. It has been very slow this year for me.

3B has been pretty slow for us around spring valley. There are 6 of us hunting and we got 3 does opening weekend. Saw a few more but not as many as last year. Still have a few more days to hunt so were hoping to get a couple more. There is still quite a bit of corn in around the land we hunt
Where do you hunt? What property?

Our group went 3 for 9 and didn't see many deer in the Spring Grove/Mable area. There are not the hunters around as there were 5 years ago so no one to push the deer. We did see some nice bucks but no good shots at them. Going down Friday morning to hunt through the weekend. We need some luck.

I am down by Houston and Lacressent. We do not get fined for misses, but if you shoot a buck and can't find it you do not get to shoot at another without a "fine". We shoot roughly 50 deer in the next two weekends. All the money goes back to the landowners and goes directly into food plots.

The group I'm talking about hunts the Elba and Rolling Rock area. It is crazy how many deer they get every year but they eat every bit of it and donate to the farmers that let them hunt their land. Good luck this weekend.