• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Professional bird and gun introduction training question

GotOne

I have a Lab that we sent to Ed Fritz at Wildlife Kennels in Morristown. He only trains 6 dogs at a time and trains for both Field Trials and regular hunting expactations.

He asked a lot of questions to understand what we would be hunting for and what our expectationa were. (my wife wanted a walking partner with obedience)

We have been very happy with our dog (I get him on weekends)Ed does a real nice job with his clients that we have seen so far.

I also used wings and whistles. I've had very good results and recommended many people there. Mike and Dave are great. Their boarding facilities are also very nice. My dog loves going there for a "vacation" while I go on vacation.

Thanks guys. My kids don't want the dog gone over Christmas, so I haven't committed yet. Anybody ever try Tailgunner Kennels? He use to work a Traxlers and has done a few seminars at Gander.

Ok, I have to decide if I should bring my pup in for training. What do you all think of bird and gun intro training with snow on the ground? Will the training be as productive with snow and possibly colder temperatures? Thanks again for your thoughts.

I don't think it's a problem at all. I know Canon River Kennels has a guy come and plow the snow from their training fields. I'm dropping my dog off there on January 3rd for their 8 week intermediate program. I think that's perfect for us. We don't get outside as much to train in the winter at home because it's dark when I get home. When I get him back in early March, hopefully they'll be some daylight left after work and then I can continue the work.

Lenny, great pictures in the other post. I'm also worried that after the training, I won't be able to get her out on live birds till spring or maybe later. Don't know if that will be a factor down the road.

Lenny, great pictures in the other post. I'm also worried that after the training, I won't be able to get her out on live birds till spring or maybe later. Don't know if that will be a factor down the road.

Pheasant View Farms, east of Goodhue, is a game farm that's open through March and does not require a membership. You can find their contact info and location by googling for it. It's their 3rd year of operation. Paul, the owner, was great working with me to get the field I wanted to use and getting me set up to plant the birds like I wanted to. They have pheasant, chukar, and sometimes quail.

I say get the dog into the bird & gun intro as soon as you can and get that enthusiasm established now!

Bill... the snow and cold will make little difference. Go ahead wirh the training. You can even expose her to some fun hunts once she is throuh bird and gun intro. It really is just an assimilation to her learning that both birds and guns are fun... they will work on a little bird finding skills and I'm sure they have property with some cover, so all will be well. A lot of our hunting seasons encompass the cold and snow, so in a way it all translates. Plus her nose will be keener now with the cold and snow vs. hot with green grass...

Good Luck!

Ken

I just sent my lab to Wings and Whistles and having Dave work with him. He went for Intro to bird and gun, and it was amazing. Dave really sparked that drive in him and he is going to be a great dog to hunt over. I was a "proud papa" watching him flush and retrieve a barely wounded bird.

I chose to send him back for fast start training now. So far, I am VERY impressed. Great facilities and great guys. Mac loves it out there. Call out there early, as he doesn't train too many dogs at a single time.