• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"The First Sax-Zim Bog Meet 2008-2009

jonny_redhorse

I figured maybe this might be a good time to let everyone know formally the time and place for the bog meet....maybe others may even attend and get to know the roads and area....This isn't a real "photo" excursion but we just may see some birds and critters in our travels that day grin

Time: 7:30-8:00AM Friday, November 28th

Place: Wilbert's Cafe in Cotton (intersection of Hwy 53 and Arkola Road)

That sounds great Jonny. We have the cabin ( My old house ) in Deer River but live in Carlton M-F. I will grab some wire and a 6' ladder to assist us. I will also bring my GPS just in case a FMer you can't make it this weekend wants to head up on there own at a later date we can e-mail them the coordinates.

If anyone is coming up from the south or Duluth we can ride share. I will be taking Interstate 35 to highway 33 to 53 from Carlton.

I will also bring my GPS just in case a FMer you can't make it this weekend wants to head up on there own at a later date we can e-mail them the coordinates.

That's a very generous idea. I would like to get up there sometime next month, and coordinates would really be nice. I was up there last year and remember the area, but vaguely. At least I remember how to find the Rocket. grin

Jonny that map is great. I will have to print one up to keep in the truck. I have picked up another cage to hang and will bring along some wire and cutters. I will also have a notepad to jot down directions along with coordinates to each spot. Sure wish the weather would be sunny but it is November in Minnesota.

Friday looks to be snowy and gray for sure....as long as it isn't a snow storm, no problem.....hopefully the main hwys won't be to slippery ...More "ribs!" great!...The boreal chickadees,pine grosbeaks,magpies will have a field day this year when the temps bottom out to 35 below...plus maybe the "3 toeds" and "black backs" may make an appearance!....looks to be a good year in the Bog!....end result of our labor gives everyone a chance to get that special image of a special north country bird/creature(martin maybe) later in the season.... grin

Johnny, thanks for setting that up! I am not able to get up there this weekend as I'm working Eagles. I will be coming up again this winter as the temps drop and the birds are known to be in specific locations.

I'm actually heading down to the bog in a few minutes, the sun is out! I figure I would put some rib cages out on S Admiral Rd. I have another guy dropping some more off tomorrow so I should have plenty. I'm still planning on coming on Friday. I'm think I should keep some rib cages so I can replace the old ones as they get picked over. I am not too far from the bog and can make it down there pretty easy, usually a few times a week so it would be no big deal for me to replace them. I know I replaced the ones I put out last year at least a couple of times and they were not hung this early in the year.

I also plan on saving a couple ribs for late winter....there's sooooo many areas a guy could put em...just hard to pick a favorite for sure....I plan on a couple spots on Owl Avenue (which was/is known for the great grey Owl hangout)...I was also thinking of a spot on Sax road right off of hwy #7 also((designated sharptail habitat area).... and another near Cranberry R.and Kolu R. area....guess we'll get our heads together and find the "bestest" spots grin.....

Ahhhh!...Great Jay! I mean great gray jay ,Jay! grin....the birds are allready cooperating!.......Jim,I'd save a one for January...Same thing I'm going to do.... they last 3-4 weeks from what I can see ....usually I can get a few scraps of suet/meat scraps from a local store here in Hibbing once the deer is gone...I'm going to throw some blackoil sunflower seed adjacent to the ribs in some areas also........Buzz,Will be looking forward to the future get together later this winter .......Blue Spruce Road! grin

Sounds great, everyone. I may not be able to be at the meeting place on time, so can Jmalm or Jonny e-mail me and give me your cell phone number and have it on for sure so I can call and locate you guys if I can't get there in time for the early a.m. meet?

Jay, that's cool that you've put up a couple ribcages. That way we'll have some attractions already in place Friday, so we can put some more out in other places and hope for good pics at the places you've put yours.

Cool!

Exciting Turkycana post #6 grin...5:00 AM here and chugging on a hot cuppo caffeinated bean squeezings!...headin to the bog this morning to hang some "visceral deer carnage" ....maybe as we approach "that" spot tomorrow..."something" may just be there...maybe grin

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who wakes up and spreads the joy of deer carnage around the woodlands for all the little critters to enjoy. I'm a late riser though, just got in from decorating my back yard. My neighbors already think I am nuts, wait till they see all the deer bones hanging in trees....lol

Lol!....Just got back from a quick morning "jaunt" to the bog...kinda of a quick run really...no lolly-gaggin this morning grin....placed a few "things" in the trees.....only one spot though...Owl Avenue....saw a buck (nice one to!) while I was placing the ribs!...I hope we have some "rib attendees" by tomorrow grin..I spotted 2 baldies sittin on the top of a tree near the intersection of Arkola Road and Hwy #7...also spotted 2 rough-leggeds on Cranberry Road near the base of S.Admiral...probably Ole and Lena grin....here's a few "so so" images ....poor lighting this morning for sure!....actually was a pretty windy nasty gray morning....nice to come home to the smells of the thanksgiving meal! grin....hawk and eagle digiscoped

Pretty sure this is "Ole" grin

Frame_Frame_DSCN3942-3copy.jpg

used the mouse squeeker again on this eagle!...really had his head a spinnin trying to locate the noise!

DSCN3917-3copy.jpg

DSCN3946-3copy.jpg

The Whiskey Jacks were really chewin on Jay's "treats" on the S.Admiral!

Frame_P1060105-3.JPG

and of course another year for the everpresent black cappies!

P1060113-2copy.jpg

P1060086-2copy.jpg