• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

deer numbers

inspec_brad

As far as deer numbers go, I thought I would comment on a couple points by codydawg and fisherchick. Fisherchick I am seeing the same thing as far as a TON of deer sign this year...yet our party did harvest much lower number than usual. I think a couple of your points had a lot to do with it this year, and those are weather and possibly moon phase...not so sure about that one though. It is not an apex predator issue because thats just not how predator/prey relationships work...they keep each other in check and numbers of each respond accordingly. Codydawg had an awesome point which can actually be validated with proof...and that is baiting. Baiting can do a lot to mess up movements and the conservation volunteer just featured an article about MN baiting at an all time high! Though population estimates aren't perfect I don't think numbers are the issue. Also feeding even when its not baiting is not good...I recently told this to my dad who feeds deer (offseason) like many do these days...this could also be messing up natural patterns and more importantly is a big concern with disease these days...for case studies on this just look up info on the Yellowstone Elk feedlots. Heres some other fun facts that I pulled off an older post I wrote:

Just thought I would post a couple facts about estimated deer numbers and harvest in MN from the Sept-Oct issue of the DNRs Conservation Volunteer "there are an estimated 1.2 million whitetails in MN, among the highest number ever recorded". Of course this is an estimate but keep in mind that survey methods have not changed so it is still a "relative comparative ratio". The next fact is of even more interest to the common concern I have heard the last couple of years about people thinking there has been a major decline in whitetail population(I'm not doubting there could be some decline of course, thats how managment works populations wax and wane). "Hunters bagged 260,000 deer last season, which is fourth highest in Minnesota's documented history". I remember the same topics of conversation last year when this near record harvest took place! Thanks all for the good thoughts.

Just my 2 cents:

I have hunted 168 for 25 years. This may be the worst year I have seen. I hunted 1.5 days the first weekend and 2.5 days the third weekend. I saw only 1 deer, a spike buck at 11:30am opening morning, and let him go. That weekend one person in our party shot a 5 point that was chasing 2 does. The 3rd weekend 1 guy saw one doe. As a party of 6, we went 1 for 6.

I personally don't mind not shooting a deer, what I do mind is not seeing any. In the past 25 years there have been many years I have not shot a deer, but I have always seen many does. Not this year. Why? I have no idea.

Wolves - doubt it. Didn't see any tracks.

Last winter - wasn't that cold and only average snow.

Poaching - did find 2 carcasses along a logging road. But could it decimate a population?

Pressure - more than last year. But I have not seen another hunter, other than one in our group, from my stand in years.

All I can say is it was still fun, and that's why I keep going. Hopefully next year will be better!

I bow hunt in Area 235 and I have seen fewer deer the past 2 seasons. I used to see them in certain areas all the time, also by my house, now I see tracks often but rarely do I see a deer like I used to to. I think my area is hit by development and more hunting pressure (my guess).

I rifle hunt in Area 183 and 5 of us saw 11 deer opening weekend, which considering the weather we had isn't that bad. I saw a nice 10 point chase 3 does, and a small basket racked buck with 2 does. I was the only one to take a deer in our party opening weekend and the only one to see a buck. I took a nice doe that was with the basket racked buck. (Never got a shot at the 10 pointer as he was running/chasing so I didn't have a good shot at him). I will add that we hunt the woods, no fields, no baiting, no food plots. We also stand hunt.

Roofer - just curious what area of 183 are you in. I hunt private land right by Nemedji off of Hwy 23.

I hunt primarily in 213 & 214. I would say there were some less deer this year, although not significantly less. There was an unusely large number of scrapes & plenty of tracks & droppings. Most of the corn is still in the field today in those areas & the consistently windy days during gun season cut down on deer movement. The majority of the deer I saw from 11/1 on were very close to corn. Also the heavy rain late in October made many of the swamps wet enough that most people stayed out of them. ML & late archery should be very good this year around here. The corn will come out, but won't get plowed under, plenty of food to hunt near.

I bow hunt in mower county and the numbers are down. we have a group of 12 that hunt 3b 348 we have 2 nice bucks and 8 does there are alot of deer in 348. just talking with the owner of the land he says this might be the most deer he has seen in the fields or around his barn. thats just my take