• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leucism in Cardinals (Pictures Included)

Birdsong

I have a family of cardinals with unusual color variations. I sent a picture to Cornell, and they have concluded it is leucism--hereditary but not contagious or harmful for the bird. It is similar to albinism as it involves melanin. At least it got me bleaching all my bird feeders again. Here are some of the family members:

3051824248_8eec3ecbbf.jpg

3050986539_74ecab707d.jpg

3050987001_3993fa37bb.jpg

The beak sure looks weird on the second one.

This is a juvenile. His beak has not entirely changed from dark to orange. If you look carefully, he has a drop of water on the lower beak, and on the upper beak, what looks like a shadow or anomaly is actually dark beak. It is all there. I took this shot through the glass of my slider because I didn't want to scare him off. It might skew things a little. I had the door open for the other two.